Finally dove with DIR buddies. What a mess!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whirling Girl once bubbled...

I can only hope that girls are included with the 'guys', EZ. :)

Margaret

Yes...can't forget about the girls...:eek:ut:

Female DIR divers must be endangered or in hiding...I can't recall ever seeing one around here.

would strip the thin veneer of civility off Northeastwrecks
so easily. Now he's going to explain the concept of Indicia
of Authority to those of you who argue that people that dress
in DIR rigs arn't really DIR.

You have the floor counselor....

Whirling Girl once bubbled...
Diverbrian, your posts were really courteous and thoughtful, which was surprising given the way Lawman made fun of you and your gear and called you names. :)

In DIR, the gear is what most people see, but a diver's attitude in and out of the water is equally important. Humility, a willingness to question, an awareness of and sensitivity to others, and an ability to respond thoughtfully to a situation without giving in to emotion, impulse or instinct, these are all great qualities in a diver. DIR teaches these qualities. Sometimes they only appear underwater. It's nice to see it out of the water as well.

I dive DIR and I'd dive with you any day.

Margaret

Lawman once bubbled...
would strip the thin veneer of civility off Northeastwrecks
so easily. Now he's going to explain the concept of Indicia
of Authority to those of you who argue that people that dress
in DIR rigs arn't really DIR.

You have the floor counselor....

Why would I do that?

The fact that I referenced your own posts doesn't mean that I wasn't civil. It means that I have a memory of prior comments that you made. If you didn't want them thrown back at you, perhaps you shouldn't have made them in the first place.

I'm not sure that your observation qualifies as casual. It does, however, qualify as gratuitous and nasty.

Just skimmed through the thread a little. It's getting pretty thick. Diving well makes a big difference as apposed to not diving well. IMO, diving DIR/not DIR doesn't.

I have dived with real, honest to joe DIR divers on real honest to joe technical dives. While they were fine divers, I wouldn't say they were any better than some of the others I dive with. While the dives were good they were just dives. We planned it and did it. No big deal. Our methods and styles were compatible and I never said I was DIR.

I think some here need to get out more.

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...

Remember ChickDiver?

Oh yeah, forgot about her.

Lawman once bubbled...

If you had called me names, my reponses may have been more personal. As it was, I was just clarifying the facts of the case. Consider it Redirect and I hope that you enjoyed the trip.

See you next year! I have already made my hotel reservations.

Lawman once bubbled... Where did I call Brian Names? Or for that matter, make fun of him?
Nope, you didn't call him names. I was just exaggerating. You'll probably really enjoy diving with diverbrian and his group next year, now that you've met him.

But you did kinda make fun of him and his group by saying that they looked like they would need the Jaws of Life to get them out of their gear.

That's what I carry shears for, actually. :)

detroit diver, thanks for the compliment. :blush:

Mike Ferarra, I agree with you that diving well is the important thing. What is diving well, however, is what we spend time debating and there is value to be found in the discussion if you're sincerely looking for an opportunity to learn more about our chosen sport.

Though I think that diving DIR is more of a choice rather than a judgment, I wouldn't be honest if I didn't admit that I think it's a better, safer way to dive. If I didn't think that, I wouldn't dive DIR. Lawman invited this discussion by opening this thread and making fun of what he thought were a bunch of DIR divers and their gear. It was a troll, perhaps, but the discussion has been valuable. It made me think more carefully about some things.

And you're right, I probably do need to get out more, so I'm taking your advice. Diving tonight, diving tomorrow, diving Friday, diving all weekend.

Diving is good. When I'm on a really amazing dive, I can hear music. This weekend at Crescent Lake, where visibility was a a really crappy 100+ feet in blue blue water, it was Mozart. The soprano aria from the Marriage of Figaro, to be exact.

It's a good day to dive.

Margaret

I was getting pretty bumbed about MikeF having to close his shop. Then I read through this thread. It reminded me in High School when someone would yell "food fight"!

Question: Does the term DOING IT RIGHT connote a certain amount of egotism to the general population? If THEY are DOING IT RIGHT then everyone else is DOING IT WRONG...sounds judgemental to me and hence egotistical. And if the term STROKE comes from STROKING ones EGO, then is there really a difference between a DIR diver and a STROKE -- not from a gear or technique perspective, but from a pschological/attitudinal perspective?

Otter

Ok: Well I wanted to throw something at this food fight and all I could come up with was a creme puff! :bonk:

Back
Top Bottom