Finally buying my own gear. Is my selection ok?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dimac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all! After around 80 dives, all using rental gear (BCDs and regs), I've finally decided that I love and participate this hobby enough to spend for the BC and regs. (And totalling all the rent costs, I couldve already bought these)

So far i'm looking in to getting the items from scubatoys.

BP and Wing Package with
-alum backplate
-dlx harness
-30# mach V

and the Aeris A1 Package

BackPlate and Wing Package discounts on sale Dive Rite
Aeris A1 Package - Deal Of The Year discounts on sale Aeris

For reference, if it helps, all dives so far are in the tropics and will most likely be sticking near the equator for my future dives

Opinions and alternatives are welcome!:D Hopefully near the same price range.

Thanks!

Have a look at some of the threads here on SB about 'deluxe' or 'comfort' harnesses versus minimalist (Hogarthian or 'Hog' harnesses). A lot of BP&W divers (myself included) would recommend starting with a basic harness, and only upgrading if necessary. Most don't find it necessary... That could save you a few dollars.

I'll offer what is pretty standard advice. Start with a standard harness (e.g.: Webbing a Harness ) and see if that works for you. It seems most people prefer that in the end, and it is less expensive. You can buy the parts for yourself, or have it pre-assembled. In any case there will take two or three dives to get the adjustments fine tuned. If a basic harness does not work for you can always switch to a delux harness.

You might get away with less than a 30 pound wing for warm water, but it should be OK. I do not know about the Aeris, but then it is hard to point to any really bad regulators. It does not appear that you are currently planning to get a computer and that is OK if you are doing most of your dives at less than 20 meters, or in square profiles.

IMHO the BP/W and basic harness package is a great deal. However, I would strongly suggest an upgrade in the reg package. You will quickly regret not going for a higher end, high performance reg. Also, don't forget to add a computer.

I would recommend you check some other websites too. Besides for LP and the other usual suspects I strongly recommend Scuba Gear Plus - Get Wet Not Soaked! - Great Gear, Great Savings! for great deals and excellent service.

I'd go with the standard harness, too -- you can always spend more money later :)

I don't know the Aeris regs at all, but I will say that I bought middle-of-the-road regulators when I got certified, and I am still using them, and they work just fine. Especially if you are not doing a lot of very deep diving, most regulators are capable of being adjusted to breathe well, and the "top end" regs deliver more gas that you'll ever need.

You can also get top end regs for mid range prices if you look at different brands. HOG/Edge regs match up against any costing hundreds more. I would not sell them if they didn't. And the reason I sell them is because I dived them for a while before picking up the line.

Unless you are DIY on the reg, make sure you can get it serviced locally. As for the deluxe harness, get it and see how it goes. I you don't like it you can buy 10' of webbing and have a hog rig in a matter of minutes. I wish my errors in gear choices only cost $10.

Bob
---------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Last edited:
Wow! People here are quick! Thats nice :)

a computer is already chosen thats why I didnt include it in the thread.

The deepest I've gone is 95ft with rental regs and they feel ok. I'm totally not familiar with how the higher-end models feel. I'll look into the regulators everyone mentioned to be certain.

I use 8lbs of lead with a bcd, I think the 30# can handle it. Or not. Thoughts?

Oh, 30 lbs is more than you need, where you're diving. That's what people were trying to say. DSS, for example, makes a 26 lb wing and a 17 lb wing, and the 17 lb wing is ideal for diving in very warm water with minimal exposure protection. But it doesn't scale up at all; even the decision to dive a thicker wetsuit can make that one be a bit small. A 30 lb wing will take you anywhere from where you are to Puget Sound in a single tank, so it's not a bad choice if you want to buy one wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom