Fin recomendation wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Nemrod

No it is the Go Sport fin. It is a good fin, but less versatile as say my Hollis F1 fins. Also good fins, but limited in use compared to the Eddy fins. I am quite curious about the OMS fins as I have read consistently good reviews on them. I don't have an interest in the RK3's as the regular ones are reportedly as light as the Eddy but less, while the HDs are as stiff, but heavier (so why not stick with F1s, Jet Fins - the rwo most common fins in my area).

@Nemrod

No it is the Go Sport fin. It is a good fin, but less versatile as say my Hollis F1 fins. Also good fins, but limited in use compared to the Eddy fins. I am quite curious about the OMS fins as I have read consistently good reviews on them. I don't have an interest in the RK3's as the regular ones are reportedly as light as the Eddy but less, while the HDs are as stiff, but heavier (so why not stick with F1s, Jet Fins - the rwo most common fins in my area).

I think you would like the OMS Slipstreams. If you like Jets but want a lighter version, somewhat stiffer and monoprene instead of rubber just get a pair :). They are frog kicking weapons!!!!!!!! They suck at flutter because the blades are so wide they run into one another. Again these all are the same foot size with the same Mares Classic 5mm boot, I am Nike 11 USA.

OMS Slipstream 80 oz. XL
Eddy Fin 72 oz. L
Go Sport 58 oz. L

Me and my wife sporting Go-Sports. She has been diving Avanti Quattros forever previous (photo by LH):

James

Love my DR XT fins so much that I bought a second pair (original version, not the new version).

Maybe you were using the Go Travel Fin instead of the Go Sport fin? If there is a problem running into a current with the Go-Sport I just do not think the Eddy will do much better. I will say I think the precurve of the Go-Sport makes up for the stiffer mid section of the Eddy. Both are superb fins and I would have no concern recommending the Eddy Fin. It makes a good compromise for light weight and heavy duty build and it exudes a quality look and feel.

The Go-Sports came after this photo but in terms of size and blade area they are similar to the Eddy:

I cannot imagine that anyone having difficulty with the Go-Sport in current would be much better with the Eddy. Note the Go-Sport has a larger blade area than the Eddy, is heavily pre-curved and the side rails are much deeper which gives it superior back kick IMO to the Eddy if using the edges to thrust. Both are size L and fit my Nike size 11 feet almost exactly the same:

Oh, and one other thing, one of them has a S on the fin :wink:.

I try to be objective and I am not driven by DIR dogma. But if you mean a machine for fins like the ANSTI for regulators and the controvery that produces, no such thing yet exists, well, okay, John Ratcliff, lol! He is a fin testing machine :wink:!

James
James, some questions on the SP Go Sport...

Have you ever tried the standard RK3 fins, and if so, how would you compare them to the SP Go Sport for warm water travel diving?

Do those bungee straps have an adjustment post?

My feet are smaller than yours. I wear a size 9 boot, but I have around EE width and like a full sole wetsuit boot. I assume the LG is probably the way to go?

Thanks,
Rob

James, some questions on the SP Go Sport...

Have you ever tried the standard RK3 fins, and if so, how would you compare them to the SP Go Sport for warm water travel diving?

Do those bungee straps have an adjustment post?

My feet are smaller than yours. I wear a size 9 boot, but I have around EE width and like a full sole wetsuit boot. I assume the LG is probably the way to go?

Thanks,
Rob

I have never used the RK3 fins. I did in the day have the USD Rockets which look so very similar to them but were heavy rubber and they were horrible dead feeling things. So horrid in fact I would not even think of an RK3 just based on resemblance. The Go-Sport is a warm water fin for recreational divers. It is very comfortable with slightly positive buoyancy and light weight in the bag. If you want a heavier duty fin that can cross over into technical diving (so your buddies will not laugh) I would go with Slipstreams or Eddy Fins and if cold water there is only one, the Jet Fin. No, the Go Sport does not have different peg locations and the peg is plastic though easily replaced with a ss barrel screw. I cannot say for sure but a size 9 foot might be a medium in both the Go-Sport and the Eddy. I do not mean to pretend to be a fin expert but IMO there is just not enough blade on the RK3 to suit me. It looks to be all foot pocket and a tiny, stubby little stiff blade stuck on the end.

James

The Eddy's are a better fin for me.

A little heavier than the gosports. They are also pretty much neutral rather than positive, which I prefer.

I like heavier negative fins for drysuit so the eddy's are not my choice there.

I have never used the RK3 fins. I did in the day have the USD Rockets which look so very similar to them but were heavy rubber and they were horrible dead feeling things. So horrid in fact I would not even think of an RK3 just based on resemblance. The Go-Sport is a warm water fin for recreational divers. It is very comfortable with slightly positive buoyancy and light weight in the bag. If you want a heavier duty fin that can cross over into technical diving (so your buddies will not laugh) I would go with Slipstreams or Eddy Fins and if cold water there is only one, the Jet Fin. No, the Go Sport does not have different peg locations and the peg is plastic though easily replaced with a ss barrel screw. I cannot say for sure but a size 9 foot might be a medium in both the Go-Sport and the Eddy. I do not mean to pretend to be a fin expert but IMO there is just not enough blade on the RK3 to suit me. It looks to be all foot pocket and a tiny, stubby little stiff blade stuck on the end.

James
I wear a size 9 but they're 6.5mm and have a full sole so I bet I'm in between sizes :banghead:

I'm using scubapro go sports for wetsuit.

I overall like them however recently I got stuck in surface current and they sucked.

My requirements.

I primarily frog kick so must be good for frog.

I also helicopter and back kick so good for that

Not to heavy as these are wetsuit fins

Good in current if this happens again

Comfortable foot pocket

I think I've narrowed it to mares quattro aventi plus apexs rk3 or deep six eddy.

Any input is appreciated.

Love my Mares Avanti Quattro +. Get them with the bungee straps. They’re still enough but not TOO stiff. Not extremely heavy either.

I wear a size 9 but they're 6.5mm and have a full sole so I bet I'm in between sizes :banghead:
You might call up Deep Six.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom