Fin question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SamDB

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
After all the help i got on masks i decided to ask about fins. I couldnt find anything on how fins are supposed to fit. I know comfortably, but what are some good things to check for?

well, you probably should go with strap fins (which require a bootie) as opposed to closed-foot fins. this will make getting in and out of them a lot easier and will provide exposure protection for your feet, which you will love to have outside of the tropics

after that, it's really a matter of taste as to color and style

here's a decent article on the subject:

Choosing Scuba Diving Fins

personally, i love stiff, short paddle fins such as the Scubapro Jetfins:

ScubaPro Jet Fins, Black

A comfortable fit is indeed the primary criterion when selecting fins. Feet are three-dimensional entities. They not only have length, but also width and height. Fins are sized in a range of foot lengths. A pair marked "10-12" will probably serve a size 11 foot well but may be too loose for size 10 and too tight for size 12 feet. Too loose and the fins may generate blisters through abrasion or even drop off. Too tight and the fins may cause cramp. Then there is the matter of width. No single fin model comes in a range of widths, so certain models may have foot pockets that are too narrow or broad for your feet. There is a German Standard for fin manufacturers covering foot length versus foot width (DIN 7876) but few companies comply with its specifications. Then there is the question of the height of the arch. Here again, certain fins will prove too tight, others too loose.

There is no substitute for trying on fins at the time of purchase and even better would be the opportunity to try out fins for fit in the water. Finding an exact fit when it comes to fins is something of personal odyssey that may take several years to complete. I've found about half a dozen fins in five decades of snorkelling that are my exact fit and I rotate their use. When you find a pair that is a precise match, you will know, in the same way as you have undoubtedly discovered when locating a pair of comfortable shoes.

As for open-heel versus closed-heel, it's still as it always has been, a matter of personal preference. Full-foot fins were the norm for scuba diving back in the 1960s and 1970s, especially in Europe. Their whole foot coverage was particularly appreciated then on the pebbly shores of the Mediterranean. I always snorkel in the cold waters of the North Sea wearing a pair of all-rubber full-foot fins because they're comfortable, cover my whole foot including the heel, and suit the relaxed style of swimming I enjoy now I'm in my 60s. They're the kind of fins I started with back in the mid 1960s. Some of the more robust closed-heel fins, e.g. Apollo Bio Uni split fins and Gull Mew fins, are designed to be worn with booties, so you are doubly protected when you wear them:
fingrips.jpg
Note too the "fin grips" in the image above, which enable you to wear full-foot fins that are slightly too big.

Fins, like masks, are very personal items of gear. Take your time when selecting them. Beg and borrow several pairs from fellow divers to see what suits you best. All divers and snorkellers will advocate and justify their own choice of fins, but what they have chosen will match their own physical and ergonomic characteristics, not yours, so I'm certainly not recommending that you follow my example of all-rubber full-foot fins.

This is a good basic question. There is also the different types of fin. Split fins and different lengths. These factors can impact your kicking effort. I've only had one fin set for almost 2 years (Scubapro Twin Jet). I've like them but they also seem to be getting stiffer. I've heard the bio fins are pretty good. Thoughts on comparing these two?

Unless you do 100% warm water boat diving then I would suggest open heel fins for maximum flexibility...

Based on that, I view the fin and bootie as a "system".........

So, first buy a great fitting set of booties..............I see so many divers with sore blistered feet due to poor bootie fit, no fun when you are doing lots of diving.......

Once you have booties then you can move on to fins.........

There are so many choices, try a bunch and you will find the ones that work best for you.......

I use both soft split fins (no muscle cramping) and the short stiff fins (good control) depending on type of dive.........

Once you have selected your fins - get a spare strap for your save-a-dive kit......

Hope this helps........M

I sincerely recommend you to read this 28 FINS ON TEST - Divernet.
I fully agree with David considerations on comfort, in fact one thing that is very important but not many people consider for open heel fins is the foot pocket size. A lot of new fins have very small pocket, that will induce stress on your foot and increase the chance of getting strain or cramps.
For what concerns full foot fins once you have them on they can actually be very comfortable especially if you wear neoprene socks, however if you need to do shore entries on hard or sharp bottoms boots and open heel are the only choice.
In terms of performance every blade as a different power as you can read on the article.
I personally have a set of Mares Avant 4 with metal sprung fin straps. Other than the fact that the fins offer solid performance the metal sprung offer the advantage over the other straps that are much easier to don and doff without help from your buddy or both crew

Very recently, The Daily Mail newspaper published an article about Prince Charles' footwear:
One's antique clothes show: How Prince Charles has always been king of wardrobe recycling | Mail Online
The main thrust of the article is that the British Royal Family is being extremely frugal during the current credit crunch by wearing, and repairing, clothing that was purchased decades ago. However, the article also makes clear that the initial expenditure was very high indeed because Charles' shoes were hand-made on wooden lasts, custom-built to match his feet and nobody else's. If that procedure doesn't deliver comfortable, perfectly-fitting footwear, I don't know what will.

Sadly, no such personalised bespoke service exists for fins, although Cressi brought out a pair of full-foot fins in the late 1960s or early 1970s which came in single sizes, not the normal range of two or three sizes. They also made full-foot fins with very large foot pockets to accommodate wearers of the Poseidon Unisuit drysuit of the period. Why full-foot fins? Because full-foots were considered superior to open-heels in the 1960s and 1970s, at least in Europe. Nowadays it is true that full-foot fins with roomy foot pockets aren't easy to find, but a few still exist. This morning off a sandy beach, in the cold North Sea, I happily snorkelled with my trusty Apollo Bio Uni full-foot split-bladed fins over a pair of hard-soled booties, a perfect fit. That's because Apollo Bio Uni closed-heel, full-foot fins are designed to be worn with booties, not barefoot. So open-heels may be the commonest option for divers wearing booties nowadays, but they aren't the only option available to those diving in a cold climate. Whatever the choice, if booties are going to be worn, be sure to put them on first at the store when trying on fins for size.

I have only used open heel fins........

But if you believe Scuba Diver Magazine and thier equipment reviews it would appear that full foot fins are much better than open heel fins.........

And the Mares Avanti Superchannel at $70/pair are the fins to own.......

Fastest Fins
1. Mares Avanti Superchannel (full-foot) (2.4 mph)
2. Mares Avanti Excel; Oceanic Caribe X (2.3 mph)
3. Apollo Sports Bio-Fin Pro C-Series, Atomic Aquatics Smoke on the Water (2.2 mph)

Thrust Test Champs
1. Atomic Aquatics Smoke on the Water; Mares Avanti Superchannel (full-foot) (41 pounds)
2. Apollo Sports Bio-Fin Pro C-Series; Mares Avanti Excel; Oceanic Caribe X (40 pounds)
3. Aeris Mako; Mares Quattro Excel; Cressi-sub Reaction (38 pounds)

Slalom Course Champs
1. Mares Avanti Superchannel (full-foot) (55 seconds)
2. Oceanic Caribe X (59 seconds)
3. Mares Avanti Excel (62 seconds)

M

Link to full article.............

18 New Fins | Scuba Diving Magazine

Hi SamDB

When you get your fins home scrub them vigorously with toothpaste, get a big tube. Oh wait wrong item and you know about cleaning the mask.

Going open heel is almost a universal way to go. It opens the door to good foot support and thermal protection. Look for booties that have a good firm bottom. On a rocky shoreline that will be a lot more comfortable than something that feels like bedroom slippers. Remember that you will be carrying the weight of your gear and it will be gripping wet on the way out.

Booties and fins are an ensemble. They need to for together. For cold water diving you will want just enough room to add a pair of neoprene socks. They can make a big difference.

The fins want to fit closely with no real play. This will give good efficient energy transfer. The bottom of the fin usually ends near the start of your heel but that can vary with designs.

I can't say enough good stuff about spring straps, purchased or home made they are easy to don & doff and self adjusting as you dive.Be sure there is a handle or pull tab in the back that will work with your gloved hand.

Consider a bright color such as yellow. Fins are a great visibility aid.

We all dive the Aeris Velocity. It is mainly a paddle fin but with some features that make it a little like a split. They do well for us. Be sure to try fins in water before buying they can make a huge difference in how you feel. Whatever you get be sure to start with some easy dives. New fins can load your muscles in difference ways and cramp you up awful by messing with different muscles.

As always making the effort to try before buying will pay off.

Pete

Great advice everyone! I dont know about split vs. paddle hopefully i can get a chance to try them out. I am going to get booties and open heel fins for the versatility and i have never found a pair of full foots that i like for snorkeling. I appreciate it thanks

Back
Top Bottom