Fin question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fin choices is very subjective. There's no better ways than to try out a few different types by yourself. It took me a few choices in between before I ended up with my TRUE LOVE, SP Jets. :)

Fin choices is very subjective. There's no better ways than to try out a few different types by yourself. It took me a few choices in between before I ended up with my TRUE LOVE, SP Jets. :)

I agree. It's better to find out through experimentation what fin type works best for you rather than have that choice imposed upon you by the tyranny of the majority. Now that I'm in my sixties and retired I've finally learned how to please myself some of the time rather than pleasing others all of the time by conforming to somebody else's norms. Over the years I've also observed how equipment choice changes not only as a consequence of scientific and technological progress but also in response to societal shifts in culture and fashion. I'm sure fin suppliers would rather you abandoned your true love of SP Jets, made from natural rubber, and committed yourself instead to fins manufactured from petroleum-derived, "space-age" synthetics. Incidentally, SP Jets weren't invented in America, Scubapro initially just imported and marketed them there. Jet Fins began life as full-foot rubber fins - the kind of fins I prefer for snorkelling - designed by the diving equipment manufacturer Beuchat in the French port of Marseilles:
BeuchatJetFins.jpg
Vive la difference! (sorry, Scubaboard won't let me type an acute accent)

Jet Fins began life as full-foot rubber fins - the kind of fins I prefer for snorkelling - designed by the diving equipment manufacturer Beuchat in the French port of Marseilles

yeah but we call them Freedom Fins now

Dan,

I sure know the history of the Jet Fin. Beauchat made numerous other fin designs all of which were much better than the Jet Fin. I have the greatest respect for Beauchat. I was given my first pair by "Big Jim Christiansen" Scubapro sales rep in 1966, that was about when they hit the market. I ended up diving in those fins for almost 20 years with at least 4,000 dives in them as a commercial diver and a underwater photographer. There were no other viable choices then.

Jet fins are the main reason I started to develop Force Fins in 1971, which truly do free you up in the water. Jet Fins make no sense whatsoever in the water. I'm sorry at this stage of my life, and with my experience I can be frank. They are a weight extending off your foot. The vents do not accelerate the flow of water. They create drag and restrict that water flow. Jet Fins are more like drag parachutes than jet engines.

My requirement for freedom to do my work in the water motivated the development of fins that do not hang off the end of my foot and truly do generate thrust for you. Jet Fins are the ultimate Terrestris fin. They let you feel like you are walking through water.

For those of you think that this is motivated to make sales, you're wrong. I disclose who I am so everyone who reads my post can take that into consideration in reading what I have to say. I have to respond to educate those who are not yet misdirected by trends of the past to use as NetDoc calls them "daddy's fins".

wow ....

well, i'll pass on this argument, other than to say that thrust isn't everything. in order to do delicate fin work, you need fins that give you control over small movements and adjustments, and that requires a stiffer paddle

Jet fins are the main reason I started to develop Force Fins in 1971, which truly do free you up in the water.

i've never tried the Force Fins, but if ya give me a free pair, i'll give you a compare and contrast

:)

sorry but i think i will have to pass on force fins. im 17 and just getting into SCUBA so i'm looking for something a little less pricey but at a time when i have some more disposable income i will certaintly look into them.

Back
Top Bottom