Votes: 39 27.7%
  • good old fashioned fins, nothin' fancy

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Scubapro Jets

Votes: 25 17.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a pair of Cressi Maxi-Rondine fins that are about 14 years old. Great fins. Stiff, strong, never had anyone outrun me. Caught every student that tried to ICBM. But they are heavy.
I am looking for a stiff fin to provide maximum performance in lighter weight.
Seac Sub Vela Flex or Manta?
Cressi Master Frog or Space Frog?
Dacor Tiger?

Thanks for any input.

still looking for the force fin button!!!!!

Stole my girlfriends Mares volos the other day, they are good but not that good

stiff are the Cressi Rondine? Is it the Rondine A?

As I posted above, I have a pair of 14-15 year old Maxi-Rondine that I really like. They are very heavy though.

I would like something that give the same performance with less weight.

Yes it is the Rodine A, Here is the link to the Cressi Site for more info:

http://www.cressi-sub.it/cat.asp?lan=uk&idc=1

It is a stiff fin but at the the same time very forgiving due to it's design. I have not experienced any fatigue or leg cramps at all throughout my OWC and the few times I have used them so far. The reason I got them was my LDS told me the Pro Star closed foot would not be as suitable for scuba and they were too soft and would require extra effort to support the added equipment compared to snorkeling. Wether that was a sales pitch or not is yet to be determined :)
Bottom line is I like the Rodine A although a little stiffer it still performs very well.

Oh I almost forgot I personally don't find them heavy at all, but that's me. Your'e mileage may vary.

My Rockets are my favorite, but I also have Jets. The Jets are Much better suited for frog kicking, but for their size my Rockets kick butt. I got both of them used. My Rockets are being held together with Nylon thread and J.B.Weld (great stuff) and I am now retireing them to back-up, pool and snorkel duty. I just got my Jets, they are used also but in near mint condition and I will use them as my primary's.

I also have a set of Mares Quatros(?) that I used as my last ditch back ups. They are ok, but they seem to tire me out....I really dont like them much.

:spaninq:

I have a set of Scubapro Super Jet fins as well as a set of Mares Plana Avanti fins. I like them both but prefer the strap system on the newer Mares fins as the ladder on my boat will not accomodate fins and the strap release makes for easier in water removal. The foot pocket is also a little wider and more comfortable for my EEE almost-don't-need-fins feet. Mares fins are hard tobeat if you have wide feet and/or use a drysuit with heavy boots.

The Mares Plan Avanti, and the Quattro (I've borrowed my brother's on occassion) are power fins and you need the legs for them, but they offer speed when you need it. The Plana Avanti is also superb when used with a frog kick and is exceptionally stable and efficient in that mode. That is what I use for the vast majority of each dive and a major reason for my preference. The blades on the Mares fin track rock solid in that mode while many other fins do not.

One of the local dive stores closed as the owner retired and sold out and I bought a set of Aqualung Blades for $40, so I plan to give them a try this weekend. Never hurts to try something different, 'specially if the price is right. :)

Apollo biofin, they were the first to get a split fin to market, and still the best imho (at least compaired to the Scubapro and Oceanic splits).

For strong current conditions I prefer my stiff old Scubapro jet fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom