Fin issues - New diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

forestfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have just completed my pool sessions for OW certification, and I am a bit concerned about my fins. I have TUSA Tri-Ex, and I wear boots.

1. My feet float an incredible amount. Should I buy ankle weights?
2. The front of my ankle really feels a lot of strain while finning - is this normal?
3. I feel my foot flapping inside of the fin pocket when I kick (up and down, not side to side). Is this normal too?

I have tried tightening the straps (get toe cramps if too tight), and loosening them (feel like they will fall off). Should I think about getting different fins? Or hold on to them through my open water dives, and hope things get better?

forestfish:
I have just completed my pool sessions for OW certification, and I am a bit concerned about my fins. I have TUSA Tri-Ex, and I wear boots.

2. The front of my ankle really feels a lot of strain while finning - is this normal?
3. I feel my foot flapping inside of the fin pocket when I kick (up and down, not side to side). Is this normal too?

I have tried tightening the straps (get toe cramps if too tight), and loosening them (feel like they will fall off). Should I think about getting different fins? Or hold on to them through my open water dives, and hope things get better?

Normalcy is a difficult to answer on forum but it seems that most of your problems have to do with fit AND the type of fin you have. I'm not familiar with the TUSA but I suspect that it's not negatively bouyant. Wearing ankle weights is a solution but it opens up a lot of issues specifically: trim issues (you'll be slightly downwards), convenience (having one more piece of equipment to wear), strain (it could cause you to exert more effort in finning and all that entails).

As for fit, do you wear a boot? If not, that may solve issue #3. As for #2, strain on your ankle may be a function with improper fit or poor techniques. I suspect it's the former.

There are other discussions on this board about finds but I'd suggest you contact your LDS and try some the more negatively bouyant fins like the tried and true Scuba Pro jets, Apollo bio fins (if you like the split fins), etc. Some LDS will let you try them out first.

Hope this helps.

forestfish:

1. That depends. Body position in the water can make all the difference. I know I initially had problems similar to yours when I started diving. I bought ankle weights, used them once, and now they sit in the bottom of my gear bag forever more. I corrected it through redistribution of my weight on my belt and in my BC.

2. I get this when I have the straps too tight. I don't get it anymore. This could be just you not being used to fins, to improper fit, finning too much, or improper finning technique.

3. Shouldn't be flapping around in the foot pocket. I would try a few different fins out in the pool and in different sizes to see how they feel. It can make all the difference between an enjoyable dive, and a not so enjoyable dive.

Another suggestion is to try a higher end pair of fins if possible. Volo's, Quattros, or Jet Fins. Then see if there is a remarkable difference. Also I hear people like the so called I think Space Frog Fins.

It's too early IMO to worry about your light feet. Until you get settled down in the water and work on trim you won't know what to change. You may be chest heavy and need some other adjustment. Hard to say without knowing your rig. Are you training with steel tanks?

Ankle strain? May be part to do with the looseness you mention as well as learning a new sport. Get out on the water for an hour or so of skin diving every other day you'll do wonders for your leg conditioniong, breathing control and comfort in the water. First fix the fins.

Floppy fins, sorry you have the wrong gear. Sounds like something needs to go. Who did the fitting?

Pete

spectrum:
It's too early IMO to worry about your light feet. Until you get settled down in the water and work on trim you won't know what to change. You may be chest heavy and need some other adjustment. Hard to say without knowing your rig. Are you training with steel tanks?

Ankle strain? May be part to do with the looseness you mention as well as learning a new sport. Get out on the water for an hour or so of skin diving every other day you'll do wonders for your leg conditioniong, breathing control and comfort in the water. First fix the fins.

Floppy fins, sorry you have the wrong gear. Sounds like something needs to go. Who did the fitting?

Pete

Agree with this. I overcome a few new divers having such problems when assisting my instructors in confine water.

Some suggestions I might give the students are:
1) Check if there is a fitting problem. (This is important as a minor fitting problem can spoil your dives,)
2) Try a get comfortable in water. (Sometimes simply have the student sit at the bottom of the pool and breath.

As specific to the fin, I would give the following suggestion:
1) Check if having the right size of boot and fin.
2) Might consider changing the boot with thinner neoprene and/or thicker soles.
3) Might consider changing to type of fins that are more negative.

Hope these would help sort out.

It may also be simply your weights and tank trim. You'll get those sorted out later after you get used to diving more.

wunat:
Agree with this. I overcome a few new divers having such problems when assisting my instructors in confine water.

Some suggestions I might give the students are:
1) Check if there is a fitting problem. (This is important as a minor fitting problem can spoil your dives,)
2) Try a get comfortable in water. (Sometimes simply have the student sit at the bottom of the pool and breath.

As specific to the fin, I would give the following suggestion:
1) Check if having the right size of boot and fin.
2) Might consider changing the boot with thinner neoprene and/or thicker soles.
3) Might consider changing to type of fins that are more negative.

Hope these would help sort out.

Okay, first, my instructor did the fitting, but I think he was more looking to make sure the foot pocket in the fin was long enough (it is). I have tried sitting at the bottom of the pool several times. My butt stays on the bottom, I breathe evenly, but my feet float up over my head! I ended up having to kneel in order to stay on the bottom.

I think my boots are too big. I was wearing mediums (ScubaPro Deck Sole). I tried my husband's XS, and they were too small. So I am gonna try the small to see if that helps. I plan on going to the pool and doing laps with fins a couple of days a week to strengthen my legs. Also, I will be going to do my open water dives in a couple of weeks. I will check my foot bouyancy then too. If I still float, I'll look into new fins.

For now, I'll make changes slowly (just like my bouyancy :wink: )

1) What brand of fins do you have?
2) What is the thickness of your booties?

I have a similar problem with positively buoyant fins. I can't recall the make of them at the moment, but my brother thinks they are 'warm water fins'. There's no warm water where I'm diving, which makes me wonder why my LDS instructor sold me said fins. It's most noticable at safety stops, I have to make a conscious effort to keep my feet down. I'd like to stay away from ankle weights. I guess I should just trade them in and get some negative fins. Is there any advantages to having positively buoyant fins?

Back
Top Bottom