Fin issues - New diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you can get away with it (i.e. warm water, no long walks on shore dives...) you should try using fullfoot fins. As far as I'm concerned, they're easier to put on & take off, they're more responsive, they're more comfy, and they don't have straps that will break. And they're cheaper.

Ok, whats the problem. Have fun with it. I do not have the same condition but, some would accuse me of it. If you enjoy being in the water and your condition is not offensive to you, make the most of it.
My reality is that at the age of 14 most of my best expierences were in the water. I was a fearless swimmer and became a member of the swim team. Never the less - had some respect for water. Now I have more respect because I now know at what tempetures it becomes painful and the limits which I can endure.
I don't expect anyone to be conforatable in the water as I am.

I have positively buoyant feet, and yes, I use ankle weights. I don't really find them all that inhibiting. I only use about 2 lbs on each foot, just enough to make them less buoyant. Mind you, I also dive in a dry suit, which makes a big difference.

In my OW class, I was wearing these huge paddle fins. Not only were my ankles getting sore, but my legs were as well. They were just terrible fins for me. I invested in a pair of Mares Volo Power fins and this problem is now gone completely. No tired legs, no sore ankles, from finning.

Ok, so I am new to diving myself and have much to learn, but i know that weights and new fins helped my problems immensely. It sounds like your fins don't really fit, so perhaps ask if you can try another pair instead? Each type of fin acts very differently...it's a matter of figuring out what works for you. :)

OK, so in my experience, which is fairly limited to cold water diving. 8 - 16 degerees Centigrade most peoples feet are slightly buoyant when using booties and open heal fins. Best thing is to get used to it. It usually isn't to much of a problem when you are actually diving.

If I dive in my 7mm, with booties and fins I still end up with my feet heading for the surface when I'm in the pool in the position you described.

As for the the TUSA fins. I sell a lot of them and there is definately nothing wrong with them. If you are struggling with fit then that is a different story. Perhaps get into the pool with the fins on and ask your instructor to check em out.

If the fit is right but the discomfort is still felt try some other fins. The following are examples of fins made to create less strain on your calves, ankles and feet. (TUSA Xpert Zoom, ScubaPro Twin Jets, ScubaPro Twin Speeds, Mares Volo.) I have the twin speeds but they are also quite buoyant. The Xpert Zooms and the Twinjets are less buoyant. I'm not much of a fan of the Volo's although lots of people really like them.

My wife also has buoyant feet and she uses ankle weights with a half kilogram on each ankle.

Good Luck and have fun.

I wore ankle weights for OW but when I took a look at the price I decided I had to get to the root of the problem. The time I noticed my bouyant feet the most was all during pool work. Its difficult to keep my feet down in four feet of water. Luckily after the first two classes we were never messing vertical in shallow pool water. I have found that as long as I am in proper position my feet dont float. Its when I try to go vertical in the water that its becomes a problem. Since I shouldn't be vertical it hasn't been a problem. Anytime I notice my feet floating a bit weird its a reminder that my position in the water probably isn't correct.

I have small feet (womens size 6 at most) and I wear a size large Apollo Bio-fin with my boots. My foot doesn't move at all. I would suggest trying other fins on. My b/f fins just don't fit as well in my opinion. Your LDS should have some you can try on in the pool.

Miranda

Back
Top Bottom