Fin Conundrum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...//...Feet were floating horribly. ...//...

Speaking as one in the heat of a similar battle, I'd go north of the weight belt first.

Find out how much weight it takes to sink you (in trim) on exhale with your tank ~500 psi. Then try moving your tank and playing with weights. The only thing that you can 'take to the bank' is the exact way you sink in the absolute absence of all movement.

Mind if I ask which shore dive site & where? I've had a webpage for Brac shore diving (which needs maintenance)

Frankly, I'd probably put the "swap off" idea dead last, followed by ankle weights - - I'd first look to adjusting your trim weighting elsewhere if your feet are so light.

Althought there is one other possibility, which is simialar to what others have already suggested. The booties that you're using now will eventually get enough dive-crushes on them to lose some of their inherent buoyancy...hopefully, this will happen before the zippers and/or soles are completely shot. So in other words, "Use Old Booties". :)

-hh

Dive site was the last ramp on the East End (north side) I'll check log book for name

---------- Post Merged at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:43 PM ----------

Thanks everyone.

Lots of great ideas

Dive site was the last ramp on the East End (north side) I'll check log book for name

Thanks. If it was just before the end of the road at the cut across from NIM Things (Tenson Scott's gift shop), I'd like more info; I've not done that one...I think it is a way to do a shore dive out to "Bert Brothers' Boulders".

When you said east/northside, my first guess was Panama Canal / Handcuff ... there's freshwater showers there and there had been a ladder in the "Brackeradee" (however they spell that word) ... although I don't recall there being an actual boat ramp there too.

BTW, here's another Brac guide I've been working at putting together; it is broader in scope than just Shore Diving.

-hh

If you feel foot light you may want to try adjusting your weight distribution. Especially if you are using a BC with integrated weights. Just transferring part of your weights to a belt may give you a more neutral buoyancy profile.

I dive Bonaire a lot. I use Zeagle Travel Fins and low cut, felt/fiber soled river shoes from Northwest River Supply.

Here are websites for both:

NRS Felt Sole Kicker Wetshoe at NRSweb.com

NRS Men's Kicker Remix Wetshoe at NRSweb.com

Finis "Lycra Skin Socks"

EZ Travel Finz - Masks-Fins-Snorkels - Zeagle Dive Systems

I always wear water socks or neoprene socks (if it's colder water) in the watershoes. This protects your feet from abrasion. The felt soles have really good traction on slippery rocks and are bullet proof. Stomping urchins (inadvertently) will not harm your feet. However, they are not good for use on a boat deck and they take a long time to dry.

The rubber soled model is a good alternative if you do boat and shore dives, but does not have the same level of traction on slippery rocks.

The Chuck Taylor basketball shoes are also excellent and may be the most cost effective thing for you.

Thanks. If it was just before the end of the road at the cut across from NIM Things (Tenson Scott's gift shop), I'd like more info; I've not done that one...I think it is a way to do a shore dive out to "Bert Brothers' Boulders".

When you said east/northside, my first guess was Panama Canal / Handcuff ... there's freshwater showers there and there had been a ladder in the "Brackeradee" (however they spell that word) ... although I don't recall there being an actual boat ramp there too.

BTW, here's another Brac guide I've been working at putting together; it is broader in scope than just Shore Diving.

-hh

That sounds right - I'll check when I go down in Sept.

I'll check out your guide - this is ironic really, I was working on a guide as well. Mostly map driven - but covering dives sites, attractions and other in three different maps. PM me and I will email you a .PDF

I have yet to finish it however.

---------- Post Merged at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:38 PM ----------

I thought I was clicking a link to your guide - but it went to google maps

---------- Post Merged at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:38 PM ----------

If you feel foot light you may want to try adjusting your weight distribution. Especially if you are using a BC with integrated weights. Just transferring part of your weights to a belt may give you a more neutral buoyancy profile.

I dive Bonaire a lot. I use Zeagle Travel Fins and low cut, felt/fiber soled river shoes from Northwest River Supply.

Here are websites for both:

NRS Felt Sole Kicker Wetshoe at NRSweb.com

NRS Men's Kicker Remix Wetshoe at NRSweb.com

Finis "Lycra Skin Socks"

EZ Travel Finz - Masks-Fins-Snorkels - Zeagle Dive Systems

I always wear water socks or neoprene socks (if it's colder water) in the watershoes. This protects your feet from abrasion. The felt soles have really good traction on slippery rocks and are bullet proof. Stomping urchins (inadvertently) will not harm your feet. However, they are not good for use on a boat deck and they take a long time to dry.

The rubber soled model is a good alternative if you do boat and shore dives, but does not have the same level of traction on slippery rocks.

The Chuck Taylor basketball shoes are also excellent and may be the most cost effective thing for you.

Thanks I'll check these out!

---------- Post Merged at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:38 PM ----------

Those fins are slick!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom