Filmmaker Rob Stewart's family files wrongful death lawsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The family didn't wait for the whole story to be known, and now it can't be told. It will either come out in court, or they will drop the suit.

They are being sued because some family want to blame someone for their sons death.. nothing more.... How about we start taking responsibility for our life .. He was living the fast track to CCR and the stuff went bad... Man up... Take the hit and say my son is dead because he was in over his head and stupidity killed him..

Jim...

Exactly, at least doing that may save the life of someone else that thought taking the express lane to CCR was the right road to be on. Seems to be a rather reoccurring issue with that style system. Sure some get lucky but some pay the ultimate price and with someone so well known dying in that way many people could be saved from an untimely death. Such a shame he had to go like that and that now there is such a witch hunt to blame someone else instead of accepting the possibility that this very well seems like an accident based on inexperience with such a complex system.

Yancey, be that as it may, Sotis who has the experience was in trouble too. Ergo, to my mind, it's not just a fast track problem.

I think it bears considering that Peter Sotis ALSO collapsed after making that dive. The difference being that the crew brought him on board and he survived while they left Stewart in the water and he died.

If it were a simple case of inexperience and stupidity are we then to conclude that Peter Sotis ALSO had too little experience to have been making that dive and that he too was stupid?

R..

Diver0001,:p , there've been lots of posts about Sotis "stupidity".

Yeah, it seems he has made some unwise decisions in his life. I'm not sure his past has much relevance to what when wrong on this dive though.

R..

The comments in the "stupidity" regard, weren't all about past behaviour. Much of it was about the dives the day of the accident, not to mention gear choice and lack of chin strap. Anyway, let me not start this all over again. Sorry. At this point, the thread is apparently, discussing whether or not we as divers have a right to the expectation that someone on board will have eyes on us.

The comments in the "stupidity" regard, weren't all about past behaviour. Much of it was about the dives the day of the accident, not to mention gear choice and lack of chin strap. Anyway, let me not start this all over again. Sorry. At this point, the thread is apparently, discussing whether or not we as divers have a right to the expectation that someone on board will have eyes on us.

I see. Well the complaint didn't mention any of that. I'm sure it's highly interesting for divers but in terms of the legal implications what we may think of the dive is going to boil down to a lot of tin-foil-hatting.

R..

What if Rob failed to close his DSV, flooded his CCR, sank, panicked, could not deploy his bailout, and drowned?

Is anyone liable if that is what happened?

I'm not a CCR diver... But have been told it's takes a long time to really be able to deal with all the things that can go wrong diving one.. One guy told me the dam thing is trying to kill you if you not on top of it... As far as AH and Sotis... They seem to have a long history of pushing the envelope.. Sotis thought he was the man.. So great at diving a CCR, He was a GOD.. Guys like that scares the hell out of me.. Give me guys like Frank (wookie) or John Chatterton that are very good divers and are very humble about it... Rob was look for a cowboy that would break the rules of Learning CCR.. And he paid the price for it.. It's my guess that Rob spoke to a few CCR instructors and was told, I'm not going to teach you that way and your crazy to try and learn and dive a CCR like that.. You'll most likely get yourself killed..

Jim...

Back
Top Bottom