Filmmaker Rob Stewart dies off Alligator Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The noticeable fact on the log is the ascent rate on the last bounce dive: something like 200 ft to 20 ft in about 2 min, possibly less (they came back up faster than they went down). This is after a 25 min SI following three deep dives (including the last bounce dive, lasting roughly 3 min at the bottom depth).
I could see some serious fizzling occurring at the surface, with both divers equally hit...
Not sure if you saw but the GF on the controller was 90/90 which might explain the quick ascent.

Not sure if you saw but the GF on the controller was 90/90 which might explain the quick ascent.
The fact that the ceiling was at 20 ft according to the Buhlman model with GF 90/90 doesn't make such an ascent rate any safer. Anyway, I was just pointing out that this struck me as unsafe and with potential harmful consequences after a long day of deep diving...
Incoherence, after what appears to have been an initial normal reaction in two divers... Is this compatible with anything else, once hypoxia has been ruled out?

The fact that the ceiling was at 20 ft according to the Buhlman model with GF 90/90 doesn't make such an ascent rate any safer. Anyway, I was just pointing out that this struck me as unsafe and with potential harmful consequences after a long day of deep diving...
Incoherence, after what appears to have been an initial normal reaction in two divers... Is this compatible with anything else, once hypoxia has been ruled out?
In light of what we have learned on this and other forums from scientists such as Mitchel, Doolette et al, a low GF of 90 combined with a High GF of 90 is a very aggressive profile. I have no qualifications in this area, I'm just a rEvo diver that does the odd deco dive but when you consider it is the 3rd deep dive of the day leads me to think that the number of dives on the day combined with the aggressive decompression profile must have played a part in the tragic outcome.

The data is available, but I only have a copy of the third dive. Let me see if I can get the other 2.

In light of what we have learned on this and other forums from scientists such as Mitchel, Doolette et al, a low GF of 90 combined with a High GF of 90 is a very aggressive profile. I have no qualifications in this area, I'm just a rEvo diver that does the odd deco dive but when you consider it is the 3rd deep dive of the day leads me to think that the number of dives on the day combined with the aggressive decompression profile must have played a part in the tragic outcome.

I can't disagree with that, but we are not talking about joint pain here. Incoherent behavior suggests CNS impact, hence possibly bubbles obstructing blood flow to essential motor or cognitive areas. The hypothetical aggressive dive profiles will most likely contribute to additional tissue loading compared to more mellow profiles, but the rocket ascent to 20 ft looks definitely as an aggravative factor. I don't know whether this was SOP in their training, but that goes against most recommendations I know about.
Did they interrupt their deco (even if it by little) because one of them started to feel bad under water, or was it gain SOP for them? There is only one person left to tell...

Sotis advocates a ridiculously high GF-Lo. It's his thing. I have never, nor will I, ever train with him, so I don't know first hand his reasoning.

Sotis advocates a ridiculously high GF-Lo. It's his thing. I have never, nor will I, ever train with him, so I don't know first hand his reasoning.
I have always wondered if he advocates it so he "has his own thing" and looks like a expert or if he is really deluded enough to believe his own crap. Certainly there is a fair size cadre of people that have fallen for it and believe him to this day, what the rest of the world of actual experts in deco believe (I am not a expert on it by any means) and have published be damned

You guys are paraphrasing p 204 and following of the document 84-1.pdf in the other thread (Exhibit A).

I have always wondered if he advocates it so he "has his own thing" and looks like a expert or if he is really deluded enough to believe his own crap. Certainly there is a fair size cadre of people that have fallen for it and believe him to this day, what the rest of the world of actual experts in deco believe (I am not a expert on it by any means) and have published be damned
I have dived with a lot of folks who dive 90/90. I don’t need to ever prove how dumb a diver I am, but if your body can handle it, go for it. Stewart found he couldn’t handle it. Or something.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom