Filmmaker Rob Stewart dies off Alligator Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know anyone who turns off their dil on the bottom. Many have shutoffs on the ADV (myself included), but turning off your dil completely will screw you 6 ways from Sunday in several insidious ways.
But there is no way to just shut off the ADV on. rEvo. Definitely not endorsing this practice, but I could see a rEvo diver doing this to run minimum loop on the bottom. The ADV is one of the things I do not like about rEvos.

I don't know anyone who turns off their dil on the bottom. Many have shutoffs on the ADV (myself included), but turning off your dil completely will screw you 6 ways from Sunday in several insidious ways.

Re now underlined, could'na said it betta' myself!

Just to clarify: the passage above under my user name is a quote from one of the witnesses' sworn statement. I have no recommendation or knowledge of people turning off their diluent on the way up.
However, this passage from Kevin Gurr's book says just as much ( with caveats).

Just to clarify: the passage above under my user name is a quote from one of the witnesses' sworn statement. I have no recommendation or knowledge of people turning off their diluent on the way up.
However, this passage from Kevin Gurr's book says just as much ( with caveats).

Understood, and I for one certainly did not mean / nor was it my intent to 'shoot the messenger' by any means. Just took aim at the (foolish) practice as stated in the court testimony. So your own reputation is certainly intact with me!!

Now I don't think my old china plate KG will mind me excerpting his book for the sake of this discussion - or I hope not Kev :happywave: : although I seriously doubt he comes near a forum these daze to see this, so I may never know, but just in case = :surrender: - have pasted in the relevant paragraph from his book below. But note folks that he states 'on ascent', not while on the bottom, and also note the last sentence that HE has bolded! I'd even go so far as to say very VERY experienced user, and then he/she could still get into trouble with the dil off.

Sure, I switched my dil off when back up on deco, if, repeat if on a up-line or deco bars at 9m, but I had something in my hand (a line or a bar) to stabalise my depth. If I was doing blue (or green or brown wherever the case may be) water deco I'd be hanging under a bag, so same deal. And then Id'a had to loose at least two reels and two lift bags, and a 'safety sausage' with its own attached reel, before I was 'naked' in the blue, green, or brown.

But if I was just winging it naked in the blue/green/brown (but that was not my practice), floating around hoping my buoyancy control was so perfect, or nothing caused me to unexpectedly descend (like a dropped camera once did!) then I'd leave my dil on till, generally, 4.5m (where I did my last 'full' or mandatory stop. But I always added a few extra mins in after that at 3m, just for good measure, and then real real slow from there to surface, just to keep Mr Murphy at bay too. After all, we ere often a loooooooong way from 'help'.

KG.JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom