Filmmaker Rob Stewart dies off Alligator Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Diver missing near Alligator Reef Tuesday night
The U.S. Coast Guard searched for a missing scuba diver off the Upper Florida Keys Tuesday night.

The diver disappeared in the vicinity of Alligator Reef, about five miles off the ocean side of Lower Matecumbe Key. The crew of a vessel called The Pisces reported the diver missing around 5:15 p.m., according to Petty Officer Eric Woodall, Coast Guard spokesman.

The Coast Guard launched a 33-foot fast response boat from Coast Guard Station Islamorada, a MH-65-Dolphin helicopter from Air Station Miami and the cutter Charles Sexton from Sector Key West to conduct the search.

The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission also participated in the effort, Woodall said.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

I just heard on my VHF radio at 6:10 this morning (2/1/17)the USCG issuing another PON PON regarding a missing diver at Alligator reef.

Its a very popular reef ....

any additional information? are there currents etc etc

Its like most any other reef here in the Keys. Current is sometimes an issue -- most often not a problem.

Report I read stated he was diving on Queen of Nassau wreck, and diving on a rebreather.

Just spotted this bit of info in the comments to the straight.com article:
upload_2017-2-1_8-29-59.png

Back
Top Bottom