Filmmaker Rob Stewart dies off Alligator Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm curious which of those instructors taught you that carbon monoxide is removed by sorb?
Hmnnn, I'm not sure any of my three instructors "taught" me that and I don't think it came up during training. That was probably just an assumption on my part. For those wondering about the "three", I'm also certified on the GEM.

In either case, breathing CO is never a good idea. However, the PPM of CO in a tiny loop would not affect a diver near as much as breathing an AL80 down to 500psi. The diver's lungs would scrub the loop on a rebreather if nothing else, but on OC, you keep getting tainted gas at the same concentration. Again, lest anyone think differently, breathing CO is not a good idea on CC or OC. Don't do it. I also believe that tainted gas would have given them symptoms way, way, way before the third dive.

However, the PPM of CO in a tiny loop would not affect a diver near as much as breathing an AL80 down to 500psi. The diver's lungs would scrub the loop on a rebreather if nothing else, but on OC, you keep getting tainted gas at the same concentration.

Ohhhhh, c'mon man...

I would like to clarify something: @Capt Tom McCarthy was the FIRST person to PM me that sofnolime would not scrub CO. Obviously, I didn't get that from him. I think he's trying to head slap me through the internet for ever posting that. :D :D :D

@oya,

seriously, until it becomes an ingrained habit, it's quite easy to allow your DSV to leave your mouth without turning it off. That's the entire point of training: to create great habits. That's also the point of gaining experience before you take another step like trimix or hypoxic trimix. We don't know how many hours he had on a rEvo. Rumor has it that this was a borrowed unit and not even his own, so he probably didn't have that many hours. It's why many of us believe that he went too far, too fast.

Now, if you're telling me that anyone who makes any mistakes ever on their rebreather should not be diving on one, then I'm going to cry "hypocrite" and ask you to stop diving yours. Unless, of course, you're claiming to have never ever made a mistake on your rebreather and are also suggesting that fatigue can not be a factor in making simple mistakes. That's the depth of foolishness to not make allowances as your limits, cognitive and otherwise, are compromised by any number of factors including cold, depth, distractions and yes, even fatigue. Just because a dive can be done on paper, doesn't mean it should be attempted. Ask Doc Deep, oh wait: he died too. A diver's got to know and honor their limitations. I'm a very cautious diver and I credit that cautiousness to having never been bent or injured on a dive going on now 48 years since first breathing underwater. It's not from having never made a mistake either. Humans stop making mistakes right when they die. For me it's been a matter of good training with a lot of experience thrown in to make that training useful. A good diver makes very few mistakes. A great diver knows how to identify and rectify each and every one before it becomes an incident.
Denial. Not just a river in Egypt.

Hmnnn, I'm not sure any of my three instructors "taught" me that and I don't think it came up during training. That was probably just an assumption on my part. For those wondering about the "three", I'm also certified on the GEM.

In either case, breathing CO is never a good idea. However, the PPM of CO in a tiny loop would not affect a diver near as much as breathing an AL80 down to 500psi. The diver's lungs would scrub the loop on a rebreather if nothing else, but on OC, you keep getting tainted gas at the same concentration. Again, lest anyone think differently, breathing CO is not a good idea on CC or OC. Don't do it. I also believe that tainted gas would have given them symptoms way, way, way before the third dive.

Yeaaaaa, I'm damn well sure that I never taught you that in your crossover course but to be fair a crossover doesn't really get that deep into dive theory and focuses more on building the unit. It's pretty much assumed that your student knows the gyst of "Carbon Monoxide = Very Bad"
Like St. John said, a good deal of students forget to shut the dsv during confined water when you're standing at the surface. However, I seem to recall ripping you a new one for it.
Pete, I love ya, but I respectfully disagree with the idea that any non medical even level of fatigue is even remotely in the realm of possibility for why people would just simply drop a DSV out of their mouth.
You and I both know that there's a difference between, newbie mistakes in confined water and ongoing issues with an experienced diver. I highly doubt you're just randomly spitting out an open DSV whenever your tired. If that's the case please contact me for a 3 day refresher where we will practice you not randomly dropping your DSV out of your mouth. If you fail I confiscate your unit. ;-)

I highly doubt you're just randomly spitting out an open DSV whenever your tired.
Not since you "ripped" me for the last one! :D :D :D Like I posted earlier, you made it a "teachable moment" and it didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth. As penance, I have created the following meme:

kFTW167Bko8lH8DMktMe9RxRX6fXw5CGPTkBVbUyJp7PRBvakYYWl31UuBMq3d9H5Pds1NPO6s70UPZhjIW=w635-h500-no.png

1k79yt.jpg

Is Sofnolime a better dishwashing detergent than Dawn?
Can I use Sofnolime as a substitute if I'm out of paprika?
Will Sofnolime protect the shininess and bounce of my hair?

#stuffsorbcando
I have proof that Sofnolime removes aluminum from boats.

I have never had a student get thru rebreather training without dropping the loop at least once.

I had a massive drysuit flood a few years ago, in February. As I ditched my gear at the surface to get back into my RIB I forgot to close the DSV. The unit sank (a Meg) and was about 1/3rd full of water when I pulled it out a few minutes later - gear stays in the water on a line cause there's no ladder on my RIB. I was freezing, rushing and judgment was impaired.

ps I had about 45 hours on the unit at the time. Rushing and/or panicky divers do or forget to do all sorts of things.

Last edited:
In case it's of interest, here's a pilot of a freighter in distress at about 18,000, which is a PP02 of about 0.10 or so.

Sounds like he's drunk, right?

Hypoxia is pleasant.

Wow, that pilot did an admirable job!

Back
Top Bottom