Filmmaker Rob Stewart dies off Alligator Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having a gag strap removes the possibility of "accidentally dropping the DSV", doesn't it?

I have never had a student get thru rebreather training without dropping the loop at least once.

"Experience is the name we give to survivable errors".

I grant that this is the sort of thing everyone does once or twice during class and is rightfully scolded for.

The comment was that this has happened with several different rebreathers.

By the time one is finished with their last certification dive this should NEVER happen. Because, you know... flooded loop and drowning and all. Closing the DSV should be automatic so that WHEN someone is tired, stressed, distracted, whatever they just do it by muscle memory.

Again, there are mistakes and there are mistakes.

Having a gag strap removes the possibility of "accidentally dropping the DSV", doesn't it?

And diving a borrowed RB that doesn't have a strap puts it right back as a possible cause.

And diving a borrowed RB that doesn't have a strap puts it right back as a possible cause.
Is this a fact or an assumption?

The comment was that this has happened with several different rebreathers.
No, the comment was that it had happened to me on both a rEvo and an SF2. Both of these incidents happened in training and both were treated completely differently by my two instructors. On the rEvo, I'm not sure it was even noticed and this resulted in a caustic cocktail. On the SF2, training was halted until my instructor was satisfied that the loop had been blown dry and that no caustic cocktail had been created. @Capt Tom McCarthy turned my mistake into a teaching moment. Now, I'm not sure if fatigue caused you to erroneously extrapolate two training incidents into "several", but it does show that all of us are subject to making errors from time to time. Hopefully, we learn from those lapses.

I don't believe the loop simply dropped due to inattention or mouth fatigue. Seeing your buddy stumbling, would cause a normal person to want to shout out a caution to the people on the boat. It would take a momentary lapse of judgement to spit the loop out to do just that. Fatigue, caused by three deco dives in a single day, would be enough to cloud your judgement and increase the time it takes to notice and resolve the issue.

Factoid: I have since purchased a gag strap and will be installing it. However, my Cooper hoses have really made keeping my BOV in my mouth incredibly easy. Shorter and drier than my OE SF2 hoses, they're like a spring holding the BOV to my mouth. I have to pull the assembly away to remove it from my mouth in the water. Not as hard on the surface, but not nearly as easy as it was.

No, the comment was that it had happened to me on both a rEvo and an SF2.

So it didn't happen on several rebreathers. It only happened on two separate rebreathers including one after you were already certified as a rebreather diver.

I'm curious which of those instructors taught you that carbon monoxide is removed by sorb? I also eagerly await Molecular Products' thoughts on the issue.

I have some questions I've been meaning to ask them myself. Such as:
Will Sofnolime remove beer burps?
Will Sofnolime remove stains from wool?
Does Sofnolime come in cranberry flavor?

Is Sofnolime a better dishwashing detergent than Dawn?
Can I use Sofnolime as a substitute if I'm out of paprika?
Will Sofnolime protect the shininess and bounce of my hair?

#stuffsorbcando

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom