Filmmaker Rob Stewart dies off Alligator Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If true, that wouldn't exactly be a "dive buddy borrowed rebreather deepest dive" scenario, as Peter is an instructor in good standing for almost every unit and an expedition instructor as well.
if it was a anchor recovery dive to 225 ft and an instructor took a student along to assist...well that is bone stupid. However, at this point I don't think anybody knows publically for certain if it was a class, a dive with a buddy(who happens to be a instructor) or even if Sotis was in fact there.

Agreed. I didn't call Peter out, someone else did. My point is that when you are an instructor and your "buddy" is maybe not certified and qualified to make the dive you're making, your standard of care is a little higher than "buddy".

it's often used that way, but it is also used by a vessel in trouble/distress that is not in immediate danger. For instance my engine on a boat stops working, no immediate danger and I would make "pan pan, motor vessel scuba diver is disabled and not under power, request assistance for a tow" then as I drift lets say the boat starts sinking or starts to get driven towards something by the wind/current, then the appropriate radio call is "mayday, Mayday, motor vessel scuba diver is sinking, I am located at (insert location)

That is how it should work, in practice, too may use mayday when Pan Pan is appropriate.
Mayday, from the French M'aidez, or help me.
Pon-pon, from the French Panne Panne, or breakdown.
Security, from the French Securite, or safety.

For what it is worth from CBC and not knowing what is considered a "risk"

"Michael Parfit, an environmental writer and filmmaker based in Vancouver, said Stewart routinely takes risks while diving because he has been "so driven to know these animals and transmit what he knows to the public." "

There is a little bit more information in the interview with Rob's parents here Rob Stewart, Toronto ‘Sharkwater’ filmmaker and conservationist, missing off Florida coast

- 4 people were on the boat: the dive op owner, the person leading the dives, Rob and a diver from California
- the day after he disappeared there were 4 helicopters, 2 planes and other SAR resources looking for him. Volunteers enabled them to expand the search area.
- "when they saw he was gone one of the guys dove in with just a mask, tried to find him and couldn't find him"

The family asked that anyone who is able to help search contact them.
Prayers for his family and friends and everyone involved.

I am just a simple OW diver so excuse me if this is an ignorant question.
Is it possible that even a diver as experienced as Rob, with all the training he had, was simply task overloaded?
I have never used a CCR, but it sounds like he was training on a new system-trimix, plus filming.
From what little I understand about CCR letting one detail slip your mind can be very bad.
It seems strange that both divers had s problem at about the same time.

How long is a CCR Trimix class? If it started on Friday, it would of finished when?

"pan pan, motor vessel scuba diver is disabled and not under power, request assistance for a tow"
Shouldn't it be: "pan pan, pan pan, pan pan. Motor vessel scuba diver is disabled and not under power, request assistance for a tow" ?

CCR experts, could they have experienced something similar to what happened to David Shaw?
Very unlikely, Dave had a gas density issue and CO2 hit that would be very hard to achieve at the depths they were at.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom