Filmmaker Rob Stewart dies off Alligator Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Sharkwater documentary shows Rob diving a Draeger Dolphin semi closed rebreather. This is an entirely different animal than a Fully closed circuit rebreather which requires significantly more training to operate safely. The statement that he was new to rebreathers holds true if the rEvo was his first CCR

Exactly.

He was essentially a student CCR diver.

Far far past any defensible technique as far as repetitive dives go.

He was essentially a student CCR diver.

The Queen of Nassau is in 220 feet of water.

“They were going deeper than he’s gone before,” - Friend Tyler MacLeod

According to both TDI and IANTD standards one needs to do at least one dive deeper than 230/240 feet over the course of training.

Yet it can be confirmed that he was actually a certified CCR Trimix diver.

It's as if the certifying instructor just didn't give a damn about safe training standards?

The Queen of Nassau is in 220 feet of water.

“They were going deeper than he’s gone before,” - Friend Tyler MacLeod

According to both TDI and IANTD standards one needs to do at least one dive deeper than 230/240 feet over the course of training.

Yet it can be confirmed that he was actually a certified CCR Trimix diver.

It's as if the certifying instructor just didn't give a damn about safe training standards?
if the "going deeper than he's gone before" is accurate. I would bet a good dinner it isn't.

One of the possibilities that I personally saw happen to a experienced ccr diver. He might have seen the other diver collapse, and wanted to know what happened. He spits out the reg, yells (empties lungs), the ccr floods, he sinks. He was task loaded, probably borderline hypoxic, definitely tiered, if we add inexperienced it's not difficult to imagine he panicked when his airway got submerged while negatively buoyant..

I think we are going to be hearing the fallout from this event and the many factors leading up to it for some time- an industry shake up in fact!
No. There will not be an industry shakeup. We are too invested in shooting ourselves in the foot, covering up our mistakes, and defending our lamentable actions to allow this to change anything.

No. There will not be an industry shakeup. We are too invested in shooting ourselves in the foot, covering up our mistakes, and defending our lamentable actions to allow this to change anything.

As a non rebreather diver, non-tri-mix diver and non-hyperbaric doctor, the surface events of both divers passing out (assumption) strikes me as there being a possible common causal factor. I hope that both sets of equipment are investigated by competent personnel to attempt to identify any possible common factor.

I doubt that any finding will have any relevance to my diving but it could be a life-saving issue for others.

The only theory that I have heard that even makes any sense is if they both ran out of Oxygen during the dive, had a hypoxic dil gas (say 10/50) and finished/did their deco on the 10/50. During their assent from their deco stop to the roof their PPO2 would drop below that needed to maintain consciousness. It is entirely possible even reaching the surface conscious that they would fall unconscious shorty after as their body metabolised enough oxygen and not enough was in their blood stream yet from the atmosphere to stop them from dropping below what was need to stay conscious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom