Filmmaker Rob Stewart dies off Alligator Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's the most thorough reporting I've seen yet. It confirms much of what we've seen previously, including Sotis being the dive partner and this being the third dive of the day.

What Happened to Rob Stewart?

Edit: I see now that this link was previously posted. My bad.

I'm just a recreational diver.
Why does that article make it seem like Rob was "new to rebreathers" when he is seen using one in Sharkwater?
Are they referring to the Trimix usage? or even, to that specific type of rebreather?

I was looking forward to his film =(

A couple of notes... the deceased was found by an ROV and then recovered by Key Largo Fire and Rescue.

If you want to talk to Sotis, you can probably find him teaching in Curacao: Add Helium 2017 Expedition to Curacao

I'm just a recreational diver.
Why does that article make it seem like Rob was "new to rebreathers" when he is seen using one in Sharkwater?
Are they referring to the Trimix usage? or even, to that specific type of rebreather?

I was looking forward to his film =(

Same question I have. He used CCR back in 2006 according to this video:

The following is taken from:
scubish.com: Reference - Underwater Physiology - RESPIRATORY PROBLEMS IN DIVING
"While at depth, the greater partial pressure of oxygen in the breathing supply forces more oxygen into solution in the blood plasma. Some of this additional oxygen reaches the cells and helps to offset the hypoxia. In addition, the increased partial pressure of oxygen forcibly displaces some carbon monoxide from the hemoglobin. During ascent, however, as the partial pressure of oxygen diminishes, the full effect of carbon monoxide poisoning is felt."

This would suggest that contaminated gas is not necessarily a "silly theory". I have little knowledge of rebreathers but wonder if coming off the loop reduces the PP of O2.
also it lo

https://www.outsideonline.com/2154621/rob-stewart-obituary

looks like peter sotis certed him days before the accident and was the diver with him

right glenn you don't know a thing about rebreathers but as normal you have to comment

Just a newbie OW question:

With doing three deep dives in one day, how long would SI be? Would doing the dives on rebreathers/trimix reduce the SI?

Just a newbie OW question:

With doing three deep dives in one day, how long would SI be? Would doing the dives on rebreathers/trimix reduce the SI?
A prudent diver would not make 3 dives to that depth in a single day. A very experienced diver might risk it, assuming that they understand the risks and potential outcomes. I submit that Rob was a filmmaker first, and a diver second, and that has a lot to do with the outcome. As a charter operator who has supported a tremendous number of "people who dive to do their job", as well as people whose job is to dive, the differences and priorities are tremendous.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom