Filling pony bottles from main tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the port on a regular 1st stage is 7/16. I was wondering if anyone knows of a place that would sell something like this in 7/16
Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 1.37.10 PM.jpg

The 6 is only slightly smaller and lighter than a 13, but the added length of the 19 makes it soooo much easier to sling, but if you’re going to the trouble of carrying a pony shouldn’t you just use a 30…unless you plan on tech diving then you HAVE to have a 40! :wink:

10BAF74E-C4C2-4B74-BF3B-6D41E15C8DFF.jpeg

I liked the post but the link was for a 1/4" adapter. Shouldn't it be a 7/16 adapter?

Yes, something happened to that link. You are correct. I can no longer find the correct fitting at Grainger-perhaps someone with better search skills than I. In the meantime, here is a link to a vendor:
https://www.newegg.com/eaton-202702-4-4s/p/26V-0004-002D2?cm_re=Hose_Adapter,_SAE_to_JIC,_Straight-_-26V-0004-002D2-_-Product

Edit: Have another look at the fitting at the Grainger web site and note the detail is in the part number: 202702-4-4s (#4 fitting I assume.) 1/4" is the size of the tubing the fitting is meant to connect. The technical drawing confirms the thread sizes as 7/16-20

Pretty good price at $2.52 each

Was thinking of getting my wife one of these, do you take it apart like a reg pony when flying?
All I need to do is to unscrew the head (2nd stage) off the bottle and place it next to the bottle in a tray before getting them examine by TSA. The agent may peer into the bottle hole to see that it is empty & hand it back to me. Afterwards I just screw the head on back to the bottle and off I go to the boarding gate. Easy peasy.

I use it a few times on safety stop to clear my extended deco up to 6 minutes as my SAC at safety stop is 0.5 cfm. So I won’t lock out my sh*tty SUUNTO D4. I now have Shearwater Teric, which would not lock me out. It’ll just tell me that I have been a bad boy.

From 60 feet depth it’ll take me 2 minutes to empty the 3cf bottle, just enough to bring me to the surface without safety stop and without the need of CESA.

For the last 3 trips to Belize, Maldives & Socorro, I didn’t use it. In January, when I was in Socorro, I learnt a good lesson to not hanging out too long & too deep with the big mama Whaleshark at 130 feet (40m) that pushed me to clear 6 min DECO at 10 feet depth and I just have enough air (~200 psig in AL80) to finish my 3 minute safety stop. So I sucked the 3cf Spare Air dry to clear the DECO obligation, before I use whatever left in my AL80 for the safety stop. Another lesson then was to get me a big tank.

When you use it you can just stick the mouthpiece into your mouth, hands free. It’s small and light enough to hang on your mouth without holding it.

@ScubaJCBS I'm lefty and my right hand is usually busy holding my camera. So I strap the Spare Air (SA) along the left side of big tank cam bands, as you see below. When I need it, I just reach out to the SA yellow cover with my left hand, pull the felt crow strap off, let the SA bottle to drop out of the cover and fish it out with the coil leash (that comes with the SA).

GH011390p.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom