Filling AL Tanks in So. Fla.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabear

Contributor
Reaction score
Got a question on filling aluminum tanks in the So. Fla./ Keys area. The LDS I use has a policy of not filling AL tanks 15yrs. or older, regardless of V.I.P. or Hydro status.
I'm aware there was catastropic tank failure of some older AL tanks some years back. I also have firsthand knowledge of the use of chilled water, quick fills, and overfills in at least one case. Just wondering if this policy is endemic to our area, as I have four tanks in pristine condition with little use. Seems a shame to rule out their use because of age. Thanks

That acutally depends on the tanks serial number. Somewhere is a series of numbers that will ultimately end up as 34# of recyclable aluminum (or a cool floor lamp if your ambitious). The reason I believe is because of an inherent flaw in the metal that can lead to a catastrophic failure. MOST places will fill if it is within hydro and VIP. The best bet is to call around and make sure.. this is a good way to get the shop hours to so you can have a back up shop if the one you choose is closed when you get in. :D

I have an older Luxfer with a current Hydro and VIP. My shop will fill it, and has told me they will continue to fill it until the hydro is up in 2 years, however, another shop has refused to fill it (unless they VIP it themselves).

I was just in my LDL today and the owner was showing me an older aluminum tank that passed VIP and Eddy test and went at 2500 psi during hydro. He was glad it wasn't during a fill.

I can see why a shop wouldn't want to fill them. It's like handling old ordinance. It might not, but it just might go off. Used AL 80's are cheap. Trade up for newer ones that are only 8 years old. :)

Filling tanks can be an adventure. I was standing 5' from a whip that let loose when my AL 40 was being filled. The bottle flew around like it was made of plastic. It could of killed someone, but luckily it only hurt the filler's hand and scared the crap out of the rest of us. The whip looked fine on inspection and 'shouldn't have' ruptured. Tanks letting go do a lot more damage. Watch a video of a hydro gone bad and you'll see why they make their own limits on age.

That being said, there will always be a shop that needs the $5 and will fill it no matter what.

I agree. Out of all the important equipment you carry as a diver, the tank is usually the cheapest. regs - 300-1500 dollars; BC - 300- 1000; ect. An Aluminum 80 is usually around 120.

Cheat on your knife, wetsuit, or anyother access., but don't cheat on your life support.

IT COULD BE HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom