Fiji - where

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wantonmien

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi

Last minute thing, but landing Fiji early September, and haven't a clue which area to head :D. We will land at the Intl and don't really fancy getting a domestic flight so we are thinking road from the airport.

Although we are not after an out and out dive holiday, both missus and I dive, so we are trying to find a decent hotel, on the beach, good reliable dive centre, with decent dive sites close by, not rip off prices, and of course in a decent location so we are not tied to the hotel and there's other bars and restaurants within easy reach.

Has anyone been out there recently or out there now - fancy dropping a hint on hotels ? Am I right thinking Coral coast is a good destination ?

Any feedback appreciated, I think the last 6 holidays I've been on were booked on suggestions from people of here, so hoping for some hints.

Cheers

There is a good and reliable road transport company called Fiji Transfers that arranges airport pick-ups and transfer to anywhere within the main island. There is some diving on the Coral Coast, but the main starting point for most diving on the main Fijian island is the capital Suva, right across the other side on the Southeast. I used road transport last month and it took some 3.5 hours and cost FJD 250 one way. Roads are mostly OK and there is not much traffic on the way.

Pacific Harbor might be the answer for you. From there you have your choice of a couple of good good dive ops to dive Bega Lagoon and both shark dives that are among the most famous in the world. Now, Bega Lagoon is far from the best diving in Fiji, but the Pacific Harbour area offers a lot of topside activities, including the rental of personal wstercraft, restaurants, shops, cultural tours/shows, and lots more. It is probably one of the he better places in Fiji to get a mix of diving and topside exoeriences and there is lodging avalable in just about every price range. That said, I personally would go with splitting my vacation into some time/days diving at Naigani and some time doing topside activities in Pacific Harbour or the Coral Coast.

We had a great time @ Beqa Lagoon a few years back.......Got to dive with 2 tiger sharks on the last day of diving--was their shark dive but no tiger's had shown up in 3 weeks, --till-- the Tigers(LSU) brought them in...:).......

I agree with cbm32 on recommending Pac Harbor. Will offer many topside activities and will be your best diving in that area. From Sigatoka area (ie Shangri la, Outrigger, Hideaway, etc) Pac Harbor is about an 1 1/2 hour drive. For day trips check with Beqa Adventure Divers or Aquatrek. Both are reliable operations. The diving in Beqa is good but not the best in Fiji, but it will get you into the water and you will see cooler stuff than you will in other areas along the CC. Both dive ops also offer the famous Shark Dive. Good luck with your holiday and hopefully you leave Fiji with many new friends. My wife and I spent a year in Sigatoka so please don't hesitate if you have any questions. Just FYI we'll be out of the country beginning early next week for our holiday but can answer any questions before then.

Cheers,

Thanks for the feedback all - much appreciated.

We are currently reading up on Pacific Harbour and will probably stay there somewhere - can't help noticing though that you said "it's not the best diving in Fiji" -- So where would you say is the best diving in Fiji ?

We've dived with everything from Pygmy's to Whale sharks, but hope in 7 days we can discover some of the best diving there :)

I prefer the resort that I represent...of course :) And I will be there in early September so we could dive together if you decide to go that route.

Naigani Island Resort is on a small island. The only thing on the island is this one resort, that started out life way back when as a copra (coconut) plantation, and a small village of fifty people. It is located at the head of the Bligh Waters.

We have about 18 dives sites within a ten to fifteen minute boat ride of the resort and the chances of seeing another boat or other divers while diving with us is very very remote. The diving on these close sites is pretty easy but filled with critters and beautiful coral formations. We also offer shore diving on our house reef that has featured black tip sharks and eagle rays for the past few months (we are hoping that they have decided to remain indefinitely).

We are also able to do trips to Wakaya, E6 and Dolphin reef. These are excellent sites that take a bit longer to get to but are worth the trip. Wakaya is a drift dive. Diving Wakaya you have an excellent chance of seeing manta rays and great hammerhead sharks.

Splitting your time between Naigani and Pacific Harbour would be rather easy to do, given their locations, and would give you a chance to see some of the very best diving in Fiji (on Naigani) and still have some time in an area with a good variety of topside entertainment (Pacific Harbour). We can help hook you up with Aqua Trek in Pacific Harbour for the shark dive as well if you wish.

Just give me a shout if I can be of help.

You guys make it difficult as both the latest threads sound just right :)

We used to live in Asia and travel regularly to PHP for the diving, but living now in Australia can see Fiji might turn into our regular 'get away' place for holidays !

I've googled, been on trip advisor etc, looked at Pacific harbour, Wanavu, Suva & Naigani and have thrown options over to my better half to make final decision, as I'm keen on all of them - but we are starting to count down to our first Fiji trip and looking forward to it.

Thanks again for the help, appreciated.

I thought Namena was awesomely great diving and Taveuni and Kadavu were superlative too. All require more traveling from main island. Law of nature that the harder to get to places seem to be better. I have heard Rakiraki and Bligh waters is great but haven't been there yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom