Fiji - where

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The "harder to get to" thing probably has some validity. Logic would dictate that the harder a place is to get to the fewer divers it would see. Fewer divers would mean less damage to the coral and less harassment of the sea life.

In this case however, Namena, Teveuni and Kadavu are not that much more difficult to get to than Naigani and all see many, many more divers than the dive sites visited from Naigani. Those three destinations contain a plethora of resorts and dive ops. They are well advertised and have been actively marketed to the dive market of many years.

Naigani had a fairly active dive operation many years ago but a long time now has been marketed as a getaway island whose customer base was largely from the expat community in and around Suva. The resort was often completely sold out for holidays and special events put together by the expat community and saw relatively few customers in between. The entire resort, and the dive op in particular, regressed. This is evident if you find some reviews of the resort from two years ago and more. Things were not in good shape and the dive op was really pretty sad. Most of the diving being done from Naigani was done when expats came over and basically borrowed a boat from the resort and organized their own dives. Other guests at the resort were hard pressed to get in any significant number of dives and would dive out of a Panga. During this period of time the family that owns the resort did not really take an active part in the running of the resort.

About two years ago the patriarch of the family that owns the resort was seriously considering selling it, as it had become a bit of a financial drain. At that point, one of the other family members convinced him that the resort is a part of their heritage that needed to be retained and preserved. That family began taking an active interest in the resort and the family started putting money into reviving the resort.

A handful of people that could see the potential of the resort and its location held for a well run dive op convinced the owners to put a real effort in that direction. Since then there have been renovations to the bures, all new dive rental gear has been purchased, a boat was completely revamped as a dedicated dive boat, and the dive op at the resort is now a Padi Dive Shop. Things have come far enough at this point that in May Naigani received a[FONT=arial, sans-serif] Trip Advisor Award for Excellence 2013.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]The dive sites close to Naigani are pristine. Virtually no one else dives them. We dive Wakaya passage and only the [/FONT][FONT=arial, sans-serif]liveaboards and one other small resort dive there. I dont think many, if any, other operations dive Dolphin reef.
[/FONT][FONT=arial, sans-serif]
So, Naigani is a gem that is just beginning to be discovered, or rediscovered by the dive community.

We are a small boutique resort, that can customize your experience to fit you, and you won't find any cattle boats leaving from our resort. At Naigani you will find yourself enjoying relaxed personal service and enjoy world class diving on pristine reefs that you only share with the handful of other divers that went out with you. You can also enjoy our house reef, which is a great dive and recently has been home to a group of black tip sharks and a small number of eagle rays.

I cant wait to get back in the water there the first part of September :)
[/FONT]

My vote would be for great diving go to Naigani. I spent a week in Pacific Harbour at the pearl and did the Shark dive with Beqa adventure divers which was great to see the sharks. However it was very expensive considering what I paid at Naigani, it was also only a 20min dive on the first dive and around 30min on the second dive. Additionally, the only thing to look aty on the dive was the sharks. Granted thats what i was there for but after spending 10 days diving at Naigani I was so spolied there that diving in Pacific Harbor for the shark dive was just nothing compared to Naigani.
I also did a dive up in Nadi. Again extremely dissapointing to the fact that I wish I didnt even waste my time...
Just my opinion. Naigani Island is a beautiful (basic) resort. Very simple but clean and staffed by the most charming people in all of Fiji. The staff make the place the wonderful paradise it is referred to as. The diving helps too as it is the best i have yet to see.

Wantonmein -I don't represent any resort or dive op in Fiji but Ive done around 25 dives over there.
I think what you need to look at is the big picture. Good diving from your origonal posts is only part of your holiday.
If you want a romantic type break as well as some In my opinion nice diving I would go to Lomani resort which is out on Molololili island.
The Dive operator there is Subsurface Fiji. They are the main dive Op in the Mamakucas so service,Musket cove,lomani,Likuliku,mololo island resort,etc.

Kazbanz,

Thanks for that, just looked at website and it looks perfect, as do a few other places in Fiji we've been given links to - I can see Fiji turning into a regular jaunt for us.

Cheers

Wantonmein -I don't represent any resort or dive op in Fiji but Ive done around 25 dives over there.
I think what you need to look at is the big picture. Good diving from your origonal posts is only part of your holiday.
If you want a romantic type break as well as some In my opinion nice diving I would go to Lomani resort which is out on Molololili island.
The Dive operator there is Subsurface Fiji. They are the main dive Op in the Mamakucas so service,Musket cove,lomani,Likuliku,mololo island resort,etc.

---------- Post added August 28th, 2013 at 03:18 PM ----------

bbarada,

Thanks, Checked it out same day you posted, looks perfect, but was fully booked for dates we were thinking of.

Cheers

Wananavu is the best diving in Fiji - land based.

---------- Post added August 28th, 2013 at 03:20 PM ----------

cbm32 - just dropped you a pm - cheers

The "harder to get to" thing probably has some validity. Logic would dictate that the harder a place is to get to the fewer divers it would see. Fewer divers would mean less damage to the coral and less harassment of the sea life.

In this case however, Namena, Teveuni and Kadavu are not that much more difficult to get to than Naigani and all see many, many more divers than the dive sites visited from Naigani. Those three destinations contain a plethora of resorts and dive ops. They are well advertised and have been actively marketed to the dive market of many years.

Naigani had a fairly active dive operation many years ago but a long time now has been marketed as a getaway island whose customer base was largely from the expat community in and around Suva. The resort was often completely sold out for holidays and special events put together by the expat community and saw relatively few customers in between. The entire resort, and the dive op in particular, regressed. This is evident if you find some reviews of the resort from two years ago and more. Things were not in good shape and the dive op was really pretty sad. Most of the diving being done from Naigani was done when expats came over and basically borrowed a boat from the resort and organized their own dives. Other guests at the resort were hard pressed to get in any significant number of dives and would dive out of a Panga. During this period of time the family that owns the resort did not really take an active part in the running of the resort.

About two years ago the patriarch of the family that owns the resort was seriously considering selling it, as it had become a bit of a financial drain. At that point, one of the other family members convinced him that the resort is a part of their heritage that needed to be retained and preserved. That family began taking an active interest in the resort and the family started putting money into reviving the resort.

A handful of people that could see the potential of the resort and its location held for a well run dive op convinced the owners to put a real effort in that direction. Since then there have been renovations to the bures, all new dive rental gear has been purchased, a boat was completely revamped as a dedicated dive boat, and the dive op at the resort is now a Padi Dive Shop. Things have come far enough at this point that in May Naigani received a Trip Advisor Award for Excellence 2013.

The dive sites close to Naigani are pristine. Virtually no one else dives them. We dive Wakaya passage and only the liveaboards and one other small resort dive there. I dont think many, if any, other operations dive Dolphin reef.

So, Naigani is a gem that is just beginning to be discovered, or rediscovered by the dive community.

We are a small boutique resort, that can customize your experience to fit you, and you won't find any cattle boats leaving from our resort. At Naigani you will find yourself enjoying relaxed personal service and enjoy world class diving on pristine reefs that you only share with the handful of other divers that went out with you. You can also enjoy our house reef, which is a great dive and recently has been home to a group of black tip sharks and a small number of eagle rays.

I cant wait to get back in the water there the first part of September :)

---------- Post added August 28th, 2013 at 03:22 PM ----------

mike0479

Cheers, fancy the shark dive, but not highest priority.

My vote would be for great diving go to Naigani. I spent a week in Pacific Harbour at the pearl and did the Shark dive with Beqa adventure divers which was great to see the sharks. However it was very expensive considering what I paid at Naigani, it was also only a 20min dive on the first dive and around 30min on the second dive. Additionally, the only thing to look aty on the dive was the sharks. Granted thats what i was there for but after spending 10 days diving at Naigani I was so spolied there that diving in Pacific Harbor for the shark dive was just nothing compared to Naigani.
I also did a dive up in Nadi. Again extremely dissapointing to the fact that I wish I didnt even waste my time...
Just my opinion. Naigani Island is a beautiful (basic) resort. Very simple but clean and staffed by the most charming people in all of Fiji. The staff make the place the wonderful paradise it is referred to as. The diving helps too as it is the best i have yet to see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom