Fiji Invitation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it's 4 with 5 on some days. A lot depends on the currents - our dives are adjusted by the conditions to try to give us the best experiences. Plus, remember, in there we lose at least a couple dives to the village visit.

Isn't the village visit optional? I want to do it...but I thought it was optional.

Two to three per day option at resort (2 a day are included if you got the package)

Sunday through Thursday = 4 + night dive (minus Village tour for those who go)
Friday = 3 or 4 dives
Saturday AM = disembark :( unless you decide to stay on for another week if they have space :)

Does that look about right Amber?

Yup, that looks about right, though some days the currents and conditions may only have 3 day dives plus night - might delay a day dive by a couple hours to catch the optimal tide conditions and therefore not have time for all 4 during the day. Nai'a works hard to make sure every dive is done at the best possible time for each site.

However, I know if someone is really wanting to do more dives, they'll find a way to accommodate. Especially for something like a milestone like 100 dives. (You do know, of course, that your 100th dive is traditionally done nekkid, right?)

I don't know why the village visit wouldn't be optional. But again, I can't imagine not doing it. For most, it's a highlight of the trip. A different village is chosen each time, so this might be the first visit (and goodie bag) the village has received in months. It's a special occasion not just for the Nai'a guests, but also for the village residents.

FINALLY got the last piece for our packets yesterday from Nai'a. Of course, it was a day I was gone all day (at a photo expo and in photoshop seminars), so couldn't get the packets out to you all. They'll go out on Monday via Priority Mail, so you should have Wednesday or Thursday at the latest.

Included are info sheets from Naia (which are essentially the same as they have under the documents portion online) and from me, along with the e-ticket receipt for the group air if applicable for you. I have all the transfer vouchers from the airport to the resort, and your rooming vouchers for the resort and post-cruise day room as well. Everything is all set up for us and ready to go!

One thing not included in the info packet and seemingly applicable to mention since we're talking about things like bachelorette parties ( :wink: ) is alcohol onboard. Nai'a has a very limited selection for purchase. If you'd like to bring a bottle or two of your favorite adult beverage, best option is either the LAX duty free or there is also a duty free available at the airport before we leave for the resort. There's actually a duty-free in the baggage claim area. Of course, the "first drink of the day is your last dive of the day" rule will be in effect, but other than that, up to you what and how much :)

There's also currency exchange in the Nadi Airport, and I recommend using that for a bit of spending cash. It's a better rate there than you'll find at LAX or prior to departure. You can use US dollars or credit cards onboard Nai'a, so think of incidentals and tips at the resort, for example, or for use the last day if you're wanting to go into town.

Let me know what other questions you have! We're awfuly close!

However, I know if someone is really wanting to do more dives, they'll find a way to accommodate. Especially for something like a milestone like 100 dives. (You do know, of course, that your 100th dive is traditionally done nekkid, right?)

Oh, we are so close... maybe it is a good thing we are showing up a little earlier than you all. So Tues-Friday at the resort if we can get in 10 dives (scheduled for 8) that would put us at 80 with only 20 to do on the Nai'a. Should be possible right...

And, hey we are ok diving nakie... as long as all of you remember WHIF SIF. :eyebrow:

And no, the village should not be optional. It would be a huge shame to go all the way around the world and not get to experience how other people live.

BTW... when does everyone get into Fiji. It would be nice to know when we should be expecting you. We arrive on Monday the 16th - depart LAX on Saturday the 14th.

Last edited:
Yep, I was nekkid for my 100th.:D

Under my drysuit 'cause the water temp was around 45f in British Columbia

And in case anyone (like me) needs to renew their DAN insurance, you can do it online. Just a reminder because diving without insurance is like diving naked.

I don't know why the village visit wouldn't be optional. But again, I can't imagine not doing it. For most, it's a highlight of the trip. A different village is chosen each time, so this might be the first visit (and goodie bag) the village has received in months. It's a special occasion not just for the Nai'a guests, but also for the village residents.

So what do we bring as part of the goodie bag?

And in case anyone (like me) needs to renew their DAN insurance, you can do it online. Just a reminder because diving without insurance is like diving naked.

Good reminder! Actually, I'd rather dive nekkid in a school of pihranas than dive without DAN insurance!

So what do we bring as part of the goodie bag?

The recommendations (found on their web site and also in the info packet winging its way to you) are for basic school supplies, first aid supplies like large bandages, antibiotic ointment, etc.

Since this is my first liveaboard, I'm having trouble deciding how much clothing I should bring. I would guess that I'll be spending most of my time in a swimsuit/cover-up, but I'm just wondering if someone who's been on a liveaboard before can give me some insight as to what they've done in the past.

Since this is my first liveaboard, I'm having trouble deciding how much clothing I should bring. I would guess that I'll be spending most of my time in a swimsuit/cover-up, but I'm just wondering if someone who's been on a liveaboard before can give me some insight as to what they've done in the past.

Martha, less is more....more swimsuits less clothes...usually the salon on the boat does not allow wet swimsuits but you can wear a dry one...so I usually take about 6 or so swimsuits so I have a dry one to change into for lunch....so the only time you will be wearing real clothes is for dinner....for the resort that may be a bit different...depending on the layout....some resorts have restuarants by the pool so you can still be in your swim suit...

I recommend a fleece top or two. It tends to be cool in the salon and on the deck at night...especially after multiple dives. Fllece are lightweight and dry fast!

Ann was right...less is more and storage is limited on liveaboards. I was lucky that my first liveaboard was the Cuan Law...where space is ample relative to most liveaboards. You would have thought I had packed for a 5 star resort. I wore MAYBE 1/3 of what I brought!

You will be living in swimsuits and shorts most of the day...and you'll learn o rotate your clothes...your bag will be very stinky on the way home...haha!

No shoes on the boat either...so a pair or two of flip flops is sufficient for the trip!

My basic packing list:
2 fleece tops
1 sweatshirt jacket (mostly for the plane)
4 bathing suits
2 cover up shorts
2 tank tops
2 casual shorts
2 casual capri pants
4 t-shirts
2 long sleeved t-shirts
4 socks
2 tank tops
a few personal undergarments
dive equipment
3mm full suit
2mm hooded vest
2mm rash guard
camera equipment
biodegradable sunscreen
toothbrush/paste
travel sized shampoo/conditioner
personal toiletries
cold meds
seasick meds
vitamins
laptop
ipod
books
woolite (I need someone to bring me a small bottle of this :D)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom