FFM - advise on OC/DSV connection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrMike

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I dive with a KM 48 full face mask and am about to fit a combined OC/DSV mouthpiece into it.

I am looking for advice on how to rig my unit using this. I do mostly trimix wreck dives with side slung bail out tanks, an 11L with trimix and usually a 5L with Nitrox. Both bail tanks have whips to plug into my unit and OC regs. I usually fill my on-board 3L with bottom gas and use that for wing inflation also.

What I am thinking is should I plug the OC/DSV initially into my on-board then if I have to bail I could use a quick release system to plug in the trimix bailout tank, then the nitrox bail out tank when/if needed, or should I leave it connected to the off board trimix? If I need to hand off the off-board trimix tank to a Buddy or up to the dive boat in rough seas I don't want to be searching for a quick release fitting and deal with flapping hoses.
And if I am doing a shallow dive and not taking the off-board tanks I don't need to change anything as the OC/DSV is already connected to my back gas.

Another thing I'm thinking about is what to do for buddy gas. I don't really want to have another OC reg connected somewhere for gas sharing. If Im carrying off-boards then no problem as these have regs, but if I'm not carrying them then what? Those of you using OC/DSVs do you have another OC reg somewhere for your buddy? I was thinking about putting the auto air back on as a kind of emergency OC reg for someone, but as this would be running off a 3L is it really worth it?

My dive buddies are not the concern here as they have enough redundancy and experience to handle things, its if I'm spotted by a panicked out of air diver I don't know who's intent on getting some air.

I feel a little bit uncomfortable with the idea of not having another OC reg to hand off. But I hate being cluttered and 'I' dont need another. What are you guys using?

Cheers
Mike

For a start be careful, the 48 has a lot of dead space at the bottom end so be careful about CO2 build up. or keep the internal mouthpiece in place

As for the plumbing thats easier. Look at the APD website and you'll see they do HP quick connectors now for the Inspiration. These work well

Plug a female into your manifold with a one way valve on in and leave it stuck out under arm and put males on whips on all your offboard, then you can plug whatever you like into the onboard system.

If you put another female on the DSV and a male on its hose you can also break it there and plug anything in directly, also makes it easier to remove OC/DSV

Get an old second stage, stick a short hose on it with a female and you can plug it onto any stage your carrying when you need it

This was the basis of the Old Bob Quick connect system

I can provide more details if needed

Thanks Mole,

Dont worry, I retain the mouthpiece so CO2 build up shouldnt be an issue.

I was wondering, is there any reason why I cant use the same quick release as the YBOD uses for its dil and o2 manual injet buttons for the OC/DSV reg? The reason I want to do this is so that I only need to have one whip on my off-boards and then i can use that whip to plug into the injector buttons (dil and o2) or into the oc/dsv (for bottom mix and o2 deco)

i know AP are using larger quick connectors in their gas connection set-up and i note bob howell changed his quick connectors when he made his gas connection system - is there a reason the original quick connectors are not suitable for an oc reg??

cheers
Mike

DrMike once bubbled... ... I note bob howell changed his quick connectors when he made his gas connection system - is there a reason the original quick connectors are not suitable for an oc reg??

cheers
Mike

Dr. Mike,

I also use a Full-face Mask, but in my case it's the Widolf DR600. Like you, I've noodled around with the question of the "best" configuration for FFM and on/off-board gas.

The new AP connectors may be good for this use, but I have not had a chance to try them. Mad Mole is, as always, a good source of current AP info.

Since I have a need for left and right side-slung cylinders, I have been working on fitting a gas block to the waist-band of my harness, and mounting quick disconnects there. This has the advantage of keeping the contact points in one easy to reach location. The block, obtained through Oxycheq, also has a ball-detent valve lever on it.

Please let us know how your project works out, with attached JPEG's if you can.

Cheers!:D

BigJetDriver69 once bubbled...

Dr. Mike,

I also use a Full-face Mask, but in my case it's the Widolf DR600. Like you, I've noodled around with the question of the "best" configuration for FFM and on/off-board gas.

The new AP connectors may be good for this use, but I have not had a chance to try them. Mad Mole is, as always, a good source of current AP info.

Since I have a need for left and right side-slung cylinders, I have been working on fitting a gas block to the waist-band of my harness, and mounting quick disconnects there. This has the advantage of keeping the contact points in one easy to reach location. The block, obtained through Oxycheq, also has a ball-detent valve lever on it.

Please let us know how your project works out, with attached JPEG's if you can.

Cheers!:D

Will do.:D

I just missed out on getting a Widolf off ebay :upset: . In the last 30 secounds of bidding every Tom-Dick and Harry was getting stuck in. I missed out on it (it went for US$500 If I recall)

Cheers
Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom