Few questions on diving Lake Michigan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And that question would be do I know enough about weather systems, forecasts, and reports to make that decision or should I stay home and watch Eastwood.

There are days the winds are calm and waves are less than a foot on the Great Lakes.

... and then 10 minutes later the clouds have rolled in and there's 30mph wind gusts and 4' chop :shocked2::coffee:

Only 3 miles....

You said that a couple of times. You're in a lake, "only three miles" from shore. You are going out to see lots of wrecks of very large lake-going boats with professional crews. Only one or two of them were put there intentionally. That ought to tell you a thing or two....

If you want, Dale can take you out on a wreck from last summer of a very nice 40-foot fishing boat. It's less than 3 miles from shore and several people almost died on it. Not in 1908, but in 2008 with radios, EPIRB, and GPS at their disposal.

There used to be a guy who fished out of Port Washington with about a 20 foot pontoon. I used to see him out in 2 or 3 footers on occasion. It looked like he was riding a bucking bronco as the center of gravity was way high. Personally, I think he was nucking futs.
Marine forecasts? That rich. They are something in the neighborhood of about 20 percent accurate......maybe. I always chuckle when I see West winds 10-20 mph, waves 2 feet or less. That's a contradiction in terms. For planning purposes i use as many differernt sources as I can get from the local tv guy, marine forecast, weather channel etc. You'd be surprised how often they conflict. The above example for instance, no way are the waves going to be under 2 feet in a 20 mph wind. On Lake Michigan you need to watch the weather like a hawk. Go out on others boats and gain experience and start easy with your own. You don't need the Queen Mary, but a good deep V with REDUNDANT power, radio, GPS and compass back up are nice to have.

Are there any other wrecks that are closer to shore that would be able to dive with a pontoon? Maybe a mile out or less? Or even something off of shore?

I was on Dale's boat one time when a guy pulled up in a RIB to dive the SS Wisconsin.

Yes, I'd choose a RIB over a pontoon boat any day.

yup, RIB's are awesome. Not the easiest to get into but I've been seriously contempating buying one. Especially because my fire dept. is upgrading and would probably sell theirs pretty cheap. Enough room for two divers and one watcher.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom