fever blisters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep!

Went diving yesterday and met 3 bull sharks!

Seems I had a fish on my spear :shark:

Nearly was deep sixed after going off the deep end...it took about 15 minutes to calm down. That's my closest call ever!:)

Larry Stein

Hmmm, the laser treatment sounds interesting. I used to get cold sore a lot but the last few years I only get it once or twice a year and I am generally too lazy to go out and get medication or do anything about it and just wait and suffer! Will definitely try this next time I get it. Thanks

This is what I do, and since then my outbreaks are only twice a year, and limited to a week, from tingle to completely healed...

I take Valtrex 2000 mg twice a day for one day. I also alternate topical treatment with Zovirax and Abreva. Prior to application of topical cream/ointment, I cleanse the affected area with hydrogen peroxide. About 3 days after the outbreak, I discontinue the Zovirax and Abreva and use Neosporin (the one with pain relief). I try to keep the site as moist as I can stand. If you let it dry up, the healing seems to slow down for me, and of course, it bleeds easier. I use the hydrogen peroxide until it heals. I apply with a Q-tip. When the scab starts to form, the H2O2 helps with debriding (removing) the scab from the sore, without causing a lot of bleeding. But only do this if the scab is completely moist, i.e. about an hour after you applied the Neosporin.

I also try to take the Valtrex as a prophylaxis as a cold or sinus infection is starting. I also bring Valtrex with me anytime I know I will be in the sun, as well as use a balm with a sun protectant. I was out at the drop zone skydiving yesterday, and just being in the sun for a few minutes, probably coupled with stress from grad school (lower immune protection), I woke up with a tingle this morning.

Fever blisters from diving can be from cold water as well as sun. Anything that stresses the skin on the lips will cause an outbreak, especially if your immune function is stressed, for whatever reason.

Find a doctor that is familiar with the non-indicated use of Valtrex for this, and always at least have a refill in the pharmacy. I try to keep some Valtrex on hand with me though.

I found this board/thread through an internet search of this very topic.

My reason for the search was on my last shore dive (La Jolla Shores, CA), I didn't do anything really extravagant just a 60 foot floor while exploring the edge of the canyon. I noticed at the time that the water was pretty darn cold in the canyon (low 50's) and my exposed skin around my face was aching after a short while. SO after about 47 mins under, we came back up.

Now all was fine until the next morning when I woke up with a fever blister on my lip. I haven't had one of these for about 10 years. So I am not the type to have these things pop up often, which made this a huge deal for me.
I immediately associated this with the dive, it's just figuring out the part of the dive that caused it that's bugging me.

The things that I can rule out:

The sun (it was overcast and I've been in lots of sun in the past 10 years with no flare)
The stress
Abrasion
Cold/Flu

What I cannot rule out:

Extreme cold to mouth area
Salt (lips were salty from surface to shower at home)
Pressure

The symptoms that were associated with the lesion were a slight swelling of the lower jaw on the same side with a slightly swollen lymph node (which after day 4 is gone).

Zovirax was effective as far as I can tell.

Hope this helps anyone doing a search. I have a dive coming up at Catalina Island, and if this happens again I will post up. Which will certainly end my diving career.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom