Ferry explosion in Playa del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but how many ferries carry NG containers on the passenger deck?
I think that explosion came from below then out. It's why we didn't see flames. I bet there's a hatch or stairway right there.

I agree that it is suspicious, and so was another video taken from the land side (probably where you wait to board the ferries) that seemed like they were just waiting for something to happen.
For the landside video, if you are referring to the second video in the thread, it was a stationary security cam, so I expect that it's be pointed on the ferries. The movement is very regular, and is caused by the wind.

I think that explosion came from below then out. It's why we didn't see flames. I bet there's a hatch or stairway right there.
That's possible, but if so, it should have blown out the roof, as that is would be how the explosion was directed, instead of blowing out the sides. I would expect to see wider damage; but it is a good explanation for NG canisters.

Any idea of the name? I bet there's deck plans on the internet.

I saw it on the 6 o'clock news tonight. They attributed it to a natural gas leak. I've had a few pops around cars and boats, and my initial thought was a hydrogen pop. Like from a battery or a number of batteries.
Playa Del Carmen officials seem to like the gas leak explanation. I believe that was what was used for when the lobby of the Grand Riviera blew up in 2011 and killed 5 Canadians tourists and 2 Mexican workers. Not to get into politics but how about business rivalries. The ferry trade seems to have some very powerful factions involved. For years it has been bandied about that Vincente Fox is involved with Ultramar and Barcos Caribe was run by the ex-governor Roberto Borge, and his boats were built with public funds. Since Borge fled the country after the PRI lost the last election for governor (and is/was being extradited back from Panama) a lot of pressure has seemed to have been put on Barcos Caribe on the Playa side of the channel. Then again it could be another Playa Del Carmen gas explosion.

Just got done finding some interior pictures:
https://www.barcoscaribe.com/img/5lg.jpg
https://www.barcoscaribe.com/img/4lg.jpg

The deck is continious; if there was an explosion from below, it should be channeled by that floor, or it would blow through the roof as well.

But there are more telling pictures:
image-24.png

nintchdbpict000387059408.jpg

Look under the ripped out side. See the floor supports bent down? They appear to have been blown down by an explosion. The radius is about the same as where it intersects with the deck side.

If there was an explosion from below, I'd expect to see things sticking up on the second deck, and more damage than blown out windows on the first deck.

Last edited:
I suspect it may be a replay, backing up the security footage to film it... Anything is possible though.

Very good point Northern assuming those CC feeds are recorded in which case my conclusion that someone had knowledge of the incident before hand on the other ferry is totally wrong. However, that initial flash still emanates from the upper deck with the blast wave sandwiched between the levels blowing out the sides of that upper level. It was no engine room issue that is for sure and the white smoke is a tell tale sign an explosive was used. Any type of liquid hydrocarbon fuel or fuel vapor does not leave white smoke like upon detonation. In fact, there is almost no smoke unless the continued burning of raw fuel not in a vapor state is sustained. In Virginia, I know plenty of nutcases who love to fire their home-made cannons. That flash and smoke looked just like what I see every time one of my nutcase friends fires their cannons on the 4th of July.

Last edited:
Then again it could be another Playa Del Carmen gas explosion.
These boats use gasoline engines? A larger craft should have diesel engines.

And unless there were gas canisters on the passenger deck, the damage just doesn't look like it came from below.

But hey, it's Mexico; it's not like they have the best safety records.

However, that initial flash still emanates from the upper deck with the blast wave sandwiched between the levels blowing out the sides of that upper level.
That's what I keep returning to as well. The explosion starts on that second deck, nowhere else. Whatever caused it was up there. And that appears to be just a passenger deck.

Any update on the injuries? Initial report said "12 injured" but that was many hours ago...
I've seen reports of up to 25 injuried.

The damage doesn’t seem great enough for a high order explosive, and that white smoke is throwing me off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom