Feeling like a newbie again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DallasNewbie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I visited Cozumel for the first time in 2004, and were super prepared based on all the friendly advice here. We haven't been in the past six years though due to kids and work. But now the kids are certified (hooray!) and we're heading back down next month. With the time off + COVID, I'm feeling like a newbie again, not knowing what to expect. I'm hoping some of you who've been recently can answer a few questions.

Money: What's the best way to get/spend money on the island? In the distant past, we used to take traveler's checks and exchange them for pesos, but then people were worried about counterfeits... Are ATMs plentiful enough on the island nowadays that I can just use my ATM card? Does everyone take credit cards now? Or should I bring cash and plan to change it at the bank?

Tips: There will be four of us diving, possibly with an additional divemaster since one kid is technically limited to 40ft. We used to tip $5/tank/person. Is that still reasonable? I know everyone is likely still digging out from a year off, and I don't intend to be stingy. Just want to understand baseline.

Car: We'd like to take the kids to the windward side one day. Where's the best place to rent a car or Jeep? We'll be staying at Blue Angel.

Kids: This is our first time bringing the kids. Also their first ocean dives. Any tips for showing the kids a good time out of the water? Our usual was always dive, nap, dinner, sleep, but I don't think that will do it for them. What are some good attractions that aren't $$$?

Anything else that's changed in the past few years that I've missed?

TIA

My wife and I visited Cozumel for the first time in 2004, and were super prepared based on all the friendly advice here. We haven't been in the past six years though due to kids and work. But now the kids are certified (hooray!) and we're heading back down next month. With the time off + COVID, I'm feeling like a newbie again, not knowing what to expect. I'm hoping some of you who've been recently can answer a few questions.

Money: What's the best way to get/spend money on the island? In the distant past, we used to take traveler's checks and exchange them for pesos, but then people were worried about counterfeits... Are ATMs plentiful enough on the island nowadays that I can just use my ATM card? Does everyone take credit cards now? Or should I bring cash and plan to change it at the bank?

Tips: There will be four of us diving, possibly with an additional divemaster since one kid is technically limited to 40ft. We used to tip $5/tank/person. Is that still reasonable? I know everyone is likely still digging out from a year off, and I don't intend to be stingy. Just want to understand baseline.

Car: We'd like to take the kids to the windward side one day. Where's the best place to rent a car or Jeep? We'll be staying at Blue Angel.

Kids: This is our first time bringing the kids. Also their first ocean dives. Any tips for showing the kids a good time out of the water? Our usual was always dive, nap, dinner, sleep, but I don't think that will do it for them. What are some good attractions that aren't $$$?

Anything else that's changed in the past few years that I've missed?

TIA

Money: Withdraw pesos from a bank affiliated atm. There are several in the airport. Most atm's will ask you if you accept the conversion rate. Do not agree to that. Banamex is one of the few, (perhaps the only), banks that doesn't play that stupid conversion rate game. In any event, there are lots of atm's around. Others who stay at Blue Angel will be better able to give you locations of the most convenient atm locations.
I rarely use a cc, as it's too easy, too tempting for mischief makers to cause problems.

Tips. Five to ten USD per tank, or the peso equivalent.

Car: Cream of the crop in town is ISIS. Prices have gone up a bit since Margarita died, but the family still runs the business.

Kids: A beach club. Others will be more qualified to offer specifics. We always made our kids go grocery shopping with us, as we wanted them to be exposed to another country and culture. We also made sure to take them on a long walk into the neighborhoods - for the same reasons. Yeah, they grumbled, but too bad. Now that they're in their mid-twenties, I think that they look back on those walks with good memories, and certainly a better concept of a foreign country.

Edit to add: Street vendors are always a problem - perhaps more so now. All they're trying to do is eat. A simple "No Gracias" is the best defense, and a great lesson for kids.

My last trip to Cozumel I realized my kid (16 yrs) was not up for 4x dives per day. We backed off to the morning 2-tank only and added on a night dive one of the days.

We took a break midweek with no diving that day. After walking all around the plaza and dealing with "people", the boy was ready to go back to diving!

I too just booked my first trip back to Cozumel in 6 years and feeling a little bit of what you're feeling, Dallas, so I'll be watching this thread! Even though I've been to Cozumel half a dozen times, I've never had such a long break before. I have a feeling once we're there it'll just all fall together like it always does. I'm an over-preparer for travel but one thing I've learned about Cozumel is that's it's an easy place to visit.

Blue Angel has some really good DM's and Instructors on staff. Ruben Larregui is my favorite Instructor. He's also the lead singer in a local band called The Red Eye Band. They play at BA on occasion too. BA offers free shore diving to patrons who are staying at the hotel and using their Dive Op. The shore diving at BA begins in a "pen" with ropes & buoys that includes a buoyancy course as well. The pen has a lot of fish life too! It will make a great opportunity for your newbie divers to practice skills and become more comfortable in the ocean. I highly recommend taking advantage of the unlimited free shore diving, especially for your new divers. You should also check out the dive courses offered for your new divers. It will most likely be one-on-one instruction.

BA hotel is about 1.25 miles south of downtown and I always found it easier to take a cab into town to go to restaurants and do shopping and Mega and Chedraui. The front desk will call a cab for you and I have never had to wait more than just a few minutes.

Some great advice has already been mentioned in this thread for ATM's. If you have a day where you will not be diving, I'd negotiate an island tour with a local cabbie who speaks English. (Most do). It is surprisingly affordable. The BA front desk can give you recommendations too.

Have fun!

Some great advice has already been mentioned in this thread for ATM's. If you have a day where you will not be diving, I'd negotiate an island tour with a local cabbie who speaks English. (Most do). It is surprisingly affordable. The BA front desk can give you recommendations too.

Have fun!
If you are looking for a cab for a day you might ask Mateo (DM/Inst at BA) to get ahold of Pantera. Pantera has a cab / van and also runs the turtle conservation / rescue on the east side.

If you are looking for a cab for a day you might ask Mateo (DM/Inst at BA) to get ahold of Pantera. Pantera has a cab / van and also does the turtle conservation / rescue on the east side.
Also, Mateo (Matt) owns Ohana, a restaurant in town that offers Chicago-style deep dish pizza, some tasty burgers, and peanut butter tequila.

Money: Travelers' cheques have gone the way of the dodo. I use the ATMs at the Palacio Municipale across the side street north of Chedraui for pesos, and I use my credit card occasionally at the higher end restaurants.

Tips: Yes, I tip, but the amount is a personal issue.

Car: I recommend hiring a cab for the day to go around the island. It will be comparable in expense to renting a car without the attendant hassles.

Kids: My daughter is all grown up now so I don't have much to offer, but if they are so inclined the museum is pretty interesting. There are ziplines in Chankanaab Park, and the beach clubs south of Blue Angel have parasailing, snorkeling areas, and (shudder) jetskis.

My wife and I dove with our daughter many times in Cozumel. It was premium quality family time. Enjoy it!

Back
Top Bottom