Feeling like a newbie again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They won't be around much longer in Cozumel, I'd bet. The last factory making them stopped production 2 years ago so there aren't any replacements coming. Being around salty ocean air, and the beating a rental car takes anyway, I can't imagine they'll last too long. I'll enjoy driving them as long as ISIS has them, though! I got an email from them today that my convertible bug reservation is confirmed so they have at least one left! :)

They paint them all sorts of colors. I've had black, pastel orange, flamingo pink, candy apple red, sun yellow, metallic blue, and lime green that I can remember. Some repeats. Never had white, though. Waiting in the office to bring the car around, we try to guess which color it will be.

I don't know, they still have VW things (type 181) running around and production stopped in 1980(?).
Many years ago a friend and I went to rent a car from an agency that is no longer in operation. The VW Thing was the cheapest car on the menu so that's what we got. I was driving; a couple of blocks from the rental place I accelerated through an intersection and my friend did a backroll, seat and all, into the back of the vehicle. I turned around and we traded it in for an upgrade.

This thread is really helpful. I'm such a worrier and I've been getting anxious about the money situation, where I should get pesos etc. I'm more concerned with convenience than getting the best deal. I guess I need to talk to my bank and see what fees they charge for using outside and international atms. I have pnc bank btw if anyone knows...

Silly question. When you tip for the dive, is there generally like a collection bowl on board the boat or do you give it to the people at the dive shop or your dive master/guide?

If it would relieve stress to enter the country with pesos, then buy some in the US from your bank before departure. You will pay more for those pesos than you would from an ATM in MX, but if it worth that cost to reduce your concern then do it. Essentially you are buying yourself some peace of mind by purchasing pesos before you go.

Also, it is common for people to use USD. Some places list prices in USD and MX$ and while you will not get as good a rate for your USD at those stores or restaurants, it's not as if you are unable to purchase anything until you get pesos. Just stay away from the free-standing ATMs on the street and you will be fine.

+1 for handing the DM your tip directly. I've never asked the shop as MMM suggested but sounds like a fine idea as well.

Waiting in the office to bring the car around, we try to guess which color it will be.

So funny how our experiences can differ in the exact same place. I've rented bugs from them at least 4 times, every single time it was red, whether convertible or hard top. I thought that was all they had!

Take advantage of Blue H2o Cozumel Whale Shark Tour. Get your Scuba Board discount.

Are they the best to do the whale shark tour with?

Back
Top Bottom