Question Feedback on Zeagle F8 and Onyx II Regulators Requested; the good, the bad and the ugly please...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am looking for feedback from actual users of the Zeagle F8 and Onyx II regulators (including their respective Octos.) on their performance, reliability, etc. from the point of view of an advanced recreational diver and for use in dive school's training/rental fleet (ONYX II for this purpose).

I have the opportunity to buy them at a very good price but I really don't know much about them. The ONYX II is in consideration for use in the dive school's equipment fleet.

I have well over 600 dives on my F8 and it has been flawless! My wife also loves hers and will never switch.
I just switched to Scubapro only because I wanted to try something different, (i.e.. equipment Nerd).

I have well over 600 dives on my F8 and it has been flawless! My wife also loves hers and will never switch.
I just switched to Scubapro only because I wanted to try something different, (i.e.. equipment Nerd).
Which ScubaPro?

the newer ones are starting to incorporate elements from atomic on the 2nd stages, especially the f8. design for the first stages borrows from apeks. basically the diaphragm counterparts to atomic pistons for huish. adjustment knob on the onyx is a bit meh though, the f8 has a nicer one.

unfortunately, i don't think they are popular enough for aftermarket upgrade knobs. The size is slightly different that the CNC 316 SS milled ones you can get for apeks won't fit.

I am looking for feedback from actual users of the Zeagle F8 and Onyx II regulators (including their respective Octos.) on their performance, reliability, etc. from the point of view of an advanced recreational diver and for use in dive school's training/rental fleet (ONYX II for this purpose).

I have the opportunity to buy them at a very good price but I really don't know much about them. The ONYX II is in consideration for use in the dive school's equipment fleet.
I've been happy with all my Zeagles over the years. I currently have 3 in the family. I'm using a FlatHead 7 (same 1st stage as F8, but 2nd is different. FH7 uses a Z 2nd stage). My oldest daughter is using a ZX/DS-V, and my youngest is using an Onyx II. All are excellent, Onyx II has the least use so far, but no issues at all, like the others in the fleet. Inspected annually, and serviced every 2 years.

They breathe great. The Z and ZX 2nds have had the upgrade kit installed that Zeagle offered after joining the Huish family. My understanding is that the F8 2nd was developed by Atomic, and as a result of that, the upgrade kit was offered to other models. So, I'd say my FH7 is pretty close to the F8. You may recall that I regularly use Atomics. I'd be happy with either, but think I prefer my Zeagles for the simpler environmental sealing of the diaphragm 1st stages.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom