Fear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Digger54

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A great variety of things cause fear in individuals. Obviously, most all of us here are not afraid of the thought of descending several feet into the water, dependent on life support equipment while submerged.

Many people cannot even begin to comprehend or consider even trying SCUBA or snorkeling. In my limited SCUBA experience I have felt quite relaxed while diving. Fear has not been a factor (But make no mistake I respect the hazards that await the careless diver).

But everyone seems to have something that raises their anxiety levels to unreasonable proportions. Mine is the fear of unsupported heights or perhaps edges and drop-offs. You will not get me to walk over to the edge of a bluff to look off at the scenery while on a hike. You will not get me standing on a roof even if it has a slight pitch and you will not get me near the edge of a flat roofed building. (But I have no problem while in the water looking down into the depths)

I have a friend that is a combat experienced Marine and he will crawl all over you to get away from a DEAD spider or even a spider that he KNOWS is a plastic one.

What raises your anxiety level, gets the sweat flowing and the heart racing and places you on the edge (or over the edge) of panic?

an office job, not being in diving...

Doctors
Ber :lilbunny:

Digger54:
What raises your anxiety level, gets the sweat flowing and the heart racing and places you on the edge (or over the edge) of panic?

I'm waiting in my office right now for a phone interview. Haven't been this nervous in years. Don't know what's wrong with me - normally stuff like this doesn't phase me...

Bryan

Interesting that we share one of the same fears, looking over the edge of a certain height. Even though I graduated from Airborne school in 1990 and loved standing in the door, looking out from roofs for some reason drives me nuts.

A close second would be the flying monkey in the Oz movie.

Dentist. I have a toothache right now and am hoping for a miracle. Can't bring myself to call the dentist, and I know down deep it won't be that bad but I just can't do it.

mase:
Dentist. I have a toothache right now and am hoping for a miracle. Can't bring myself to call the dentist, and I know down deep it won't be that bad but I just can't do it.

You beat me to it.

Mine would be dentists, then roaches. :11:

TOM

Back
Top Bottom