Favorite Wreck Reel brand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah, a skills solution to an equipment problem!

LOL, thats funny.

WHATS UP LULU! I also would recommend the salvo / lightmonkey reels. There is one for sale (400 footer) here on SB right now. I have been thinking about it to replace a couple of my reels. If you are really interested in that, hit up the seller.

Wish I had time to head out that way an hit some of those OB wrecks.

LOL, thats funny.

WHATS UP LULU! I also would recommend the salvo / lightmonkey reels. There is one for sale (400 footer) here on SB right now. I have been thinking about it to replace a couple of my reels. If you are really interested in that, hit up the seller.

Wish I had time to head out that way an hit some of those OB wrecks.

Come on out Fire Diver! Thanks for the recommendation. I'm leaning towards the 400 foot reel with #36 line on it.

(You just reminded me that I have the ST dive video booty and that it is nearly time to pass it on...)

Be sure to try and borrow one to use before you buy it. Some people have found the size of them to be awkward, especially if they have smaller hands.

Good point, thanks. I have borrowed many a reel, but not the particular ones I am looking at. I have very long and very slim fingers (size 4.5 ring) so I'm thinking I should be OK with any size reel.

Wreck reels usually are shorter than 400' because we use larger line.
A 400' cave reel will only carry about 250' of wreck line.

Randy

Good to know. I was wondering how interchangeable those spools were. I might have missed that and ordered a 200 foot reel with #36 on it and received something not much better that my little 100 foot finger spool.

Thanks Randy.

Another option is the Light Monkey 200' reel. It's the same design as their larger reels just smaller... One issue you may have is if you put larger line on it it may not hold much more than a large finger spool.

Everyone I dive with just uses #24 line on wrecks. If you're placing good ties, it's plenty thick (and if you aren't placing good ties, even thicker line won't help).

Another option is the Light Monkey 200' reel. It's the same design as their larger reels just smaller... One issue you may have is if you put larger line on it it may not hold much more than a large finger spool.

now that I'm on my computer instead of my phone this is the reel I'm talking about

buy Light Monkey Primary Reel 200

If you're concerned about line strength NESS also has some heavy duty #24 line. I haven't used it so I have no first hand knowledge about it but have heard good things about the line.

Dive Reels - #24 Extreme Duty Dive Reel Line - Northeast Scuba Supply

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom