Favorite Wreck Reel brand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lulubelle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I need to buy a wreck reel instead of always borrowing one and am having a hard time deciding on which type/brand. I'm also interested in your opinion about length and type of line. I'm assuming a length of 200-300 feet, but that is as far as I have gotten.

I have used a number of different types. Some homemade, some name brand, etc. The ones with an open space under the cross bar on one side of the spool can be a bit of a PITA to use as a wreck reel as they seem too easy to tangle.

Thanks!

I have a 400 foot Manta, and I really like it.

Lullabelle what price range are you in? If you are up to $200-$250 the side reels above are great. I am using a couple of OMS becuase I bought them right and they do what I need but the side handle reels are the reels of choice. Good luck.

Halcyon Pathfinder Reel 400' guideline;

Also Halcyon Coldwater Spool 100' as an option:
Advantage: smaller than a full size Reel and easier to pass around anchoring points for line tie-ins or wraps.
Disadvantage: less linear length of guideline (100') vs. a full-size Reel (400'); slightly less convenience in manually winding up line on the spool vs. cranking/reeling line in with a full-size Reel; easy to fumble or drop spool with heavy gloves on while winding up line.

Halcyon Pathfinder Reel 400' guideline;

Also Halcyon Coldwater Spool 100' as an option:
Advantage: smaller than a full size Reel and easier to pass around anchoring points for line tie-ins or wraps.
Disadvantage: less linear length of guideline (100') vs. a full-size Reel (400'); slightly less convenience in manually winding up line on the spool vs. cranking/reeling line in with a full-size Reel; easy to fumble or drop spool with heavy gloves on while winding up line.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a look at the Halcyon. I already carry a 100 foot finger spool. But on/in our wrecks and in our currents, there are too many different scenarios where it isn't adequate.

What about line thickness/type/strength? I have a number of dive buddies who have made their own reels because they weren't happy with the line that came with theirs.

Lullabelle what price range are you in? If you are up to $200-$250 the side reels above are great. I am using a couple of OMS becuase I bought them right and they do what I need but the side handle reels are the reels of choice. Good luck.

I'll be in whatever price range I need to be to have a good reel. I've managed not to have any gear "re dos" yet because I do a bit of research and borrow a lot of different types of something to try before I buy.

I definitely want a side handle reel. But a couple that I have used have a small opening on the left between the reel and the metal bar going over the top which seem mighty easy to tangle if you are doing anything beside carrying a flag on a drift dive where there is constant and perfect tension on them.

400' Salvo, Halcyon, or Light Monkey.

Thanks, I'll check them out. Do you think the 400 feet is the minimum length desirable? I am only doing limited penetration on wrecks within recreational depths and don't want to carry anything bulkier than what I need.

What I do know is that a 100 foot spool is not even long enough to shoot a dmsb from depth in ripping current...so I don't want to undershoot what I need either.

I have a 400 foot Manta, and I really like it.

Thanks, I'll take a look. I've heard nothing but positive from folks who have these.

Back
Top Bottom