Favorite Northern CA dive shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

luvspoodles:
We loved Brett Robinson. He was tough on me, yet understanding. An embarrassing fact is that my husband sets up my equipment for me, because it was just easier for him to do it. Well, Brett insisted that I set up my own equipment the entire time...and I am so grateful for that! I was also sooo cold on the fifth dive in two days, and he would not let me quit. He taught us so much-so much more than our OW class. I liked him so much that I wrote PADI a letter just raving about him. I hope to take more classes from him, like a specialty in high altitude diving.

The one thing about Brett being a bit tough is that he is not a jerk and does not have an ego problem like some instructors I've seen. That is one of the reasons why I had Brett do my Rescue class a couple of years ago, as well as certify my son. He is an excellent PADI instructor and takes the extra time to make sure his students know the material and are comfortable with the skills before he allows them to progress. When someone is looking to go the PADI route of learn how to dive, I alway encourage them to ask for Brett.

boomx5:
The one thing about Brett being a bit tough is that he is not a jerk and does not have an ego problem like some instructors I've seen. That is one of the reasons why I had Brett do my Rescue class a couple of years ago, as well as certify my son. He is an excellent PADI instructor and takes the extra time to make sure his students know the material and are comfortable with the skills before he allows them to progress. When someone is looking to go the PADI route of learn how to dive, I alway encourage them to ask for Brett.

I agree that it was nice that Brett didn't have an ego problem. There are way too many instructors with ego problems! I don't do well with "tough guy" intsructors, as I am certainly the opposite of "tough." My husband and I were so lucky because no one else signed up for the class so we had a private class! That was good because I got to really concentrate on the things that I didn't get during my OW. Now I can use those dive tables with confidence! Brett spent hours getting me to understand those, and then the Nitrox ones! I unfortunately had left my OW class without totally understanding those. I was so impressed with him that I even wrote Mike, the owner of dolphin, a letter about how my advanced OW had been a great experience with Brett.

pjbdiver:
Try Sports Chalet in Antioch, I have heard there is another one in Pleasent Hill. I have nothing but great experiences with them, specifically the Sport Chalets in San Diego.

The Antioch Sport's Chalet is very close to home so I was excited to start shopping there, but after quite a few bad experiences, I won't be shopping there until they get their act together. They are a sporting goods store that carries dive gear...which is totally different than being a dive shop. They have had so much employee turnover that you never know who will be behind the counter each week, and you have to wait in line behind all the paintballers to get a fill...and that also means AIR ONLY - NO NITROX!!! At least they do have awesome prices, $109 for an AL80 with a standard yoke valve(it was on sale for $99 during scuba week!). They fill pony bottles for free (yes they like to push the idea of using a pony bottle).

So to address the original post here... The absolute best dive shop in all of the bay area is Advanced Diving Technologies in Pittsburg, CA. www.adtscuba.com
They are super friendly, pump nitrox and trimix, and they have a great selection for such a small store. They sell a lot of halcyon stuff but they dont try to stuff the DIR philosophy down your throat. They have really gone out of their way to help me get some better gear and never complained when I come in there 15 minutes before closing and needed 4 tanks filled. I only wish they were a little closer over this direction...hwy 4 is always backed up in the afternoon!!! :0

Brian I agree.
The guys at Advanced Diving Technologies are a good bunch of guys and deserve our business.
These guys always have enough time to take care of me and often kick me down a discount with out being asked.
Rarely do I see good pricing,smart help with an excellent attitude.
Andy

Ah, the tri-tip is wonderful. So are the ribs.

So far the only dive shop I've experienced in Monterey is Aquarius II, and I really like it. Good prices, good services, and doggie company while you look at gear and shirts.

Ishie

Scubaroo:
What's your favorite Northern CA dive shop? Mine's generally been Aquarius Divers in Monterey, although I do go elsewhere at times.

I've always liked Aquarius. If you go, ask for Rod. Great guy and very knowledgable diver.

I got certified at Wallins in Redwood City. Good instructors. Small class size (we had 5 people in my OW class). Two instructors for 5 students. Very good ratio. The store is a bit small. Relatively small selection although their prices for ScubaPro is probably 10% cheaper than anywhere else. Had a bad experience with the salesperson in buying my mask/fins. He was very rushed and didn't like the service. The manager seemed very knowledgeable.

Diver Dan's in Santa Clara has a great selection. Haven't taken a class from them yet. The manager Mike Davis is a great guy. He spent multiple hours talking with me about equipment before i even bought a single thing.
Now I bought everything from him, including dry suit. Now, i'm just waiting for the dry suit before getting out to Monterey.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom