Favorite Northern CA dive shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo

Contributor
Reaction score
What's your favorite Northern CA dive shop? Mine's generally been Aquarius Divers in Monterey, although I do go elsewhere at times.

I like Diver Dan's in Santa Clara for classes/purchases. I go to California Dive Center in San Bruno for air fills (close to work).

Mel

I have had really good luck with aquarius,manta ray,and monterey bay dive center all located in monterey.If i could only pick one i would choose manta ray.I like that manta ray is willing to match prices(yes online prices) and have made me some good deals on equipment.I also plan on taking DIR fundamentals through them and some other classes later.Plus they have a nice assortment of halcyon gear and other goodies.

This has been a tough one for me... I have tried Diver Dan's in Santa Clara and Captain Aqua's in Dublin -- and frankly, I have had concerns about both. I'm still in the market for a great lds in the SF Bay area. I generally just arrange to get my needs taken care of by Maui Dreams Dive Co. in Maui.

well, i've lurked without participating long enough.

we've had good luck with blue water divers in sunnyvale (although for the silicon valley, the web site leaves something to be desired :). the owner and his staff have been courteous, prompt, and more than willing to special order for us.

on the subject of diver dan's in santa clara... i have serious concerns as well.

anywater sports in san jose - nice people, decent selection, will shoot the breeze with you and you don't feel obligated to buy. went above and beyond (as LDS's should) when my drysuit/undergarment didn't work right, and when it got right, got mucho freebies - upgrade to stretch, free boat dive, never paid for airfills again, etc. and will get me gear they don't carry. frank owns cypress charters as well - capt phil is on his staff.

other experiences - diver dans (many instructors, some decent but focus appears to be volume from my limited experience, many/frequent classes offered; seems more interested in selling than servicing my needs - except for Mrs King who actually asks about my needs), pacific offshore divers (one or two are enthusiastic divers who happen to work as sales guys - good to talk equipment needs with), and splash quatics who incidentally are going out of business (they're SSI, similar to California Dive Center, i think. friendly people who leave you to wander around their huge store. decent selection of doodads).

by the way, i lived near san jose >3 years.

oh, and for airfills while in monterey, i go to the LDS by where ben is having his sandwich (check his profile). if they're overloaded with work, i go to the manta ray guy.

now you have to go remind me of the tritips;-0 - didn't you see how i pointedly tried not to say what i had for a sandwich :upset:

but seriously, drool factor 10 for their tritips. may you have plenty of those, lal7176, with a large coffee to go.

i will now sulk until i can wangle a busines trip to california :(

Any Water is where I plan on taking some advanced training - Advanced Nitrox is next on the menu. I also try to book my Cypress Sea charters through them - had a bad experience booking a trip through a different LDS (quoted a 7:30am departure time, boat left at 7am! They refused to refund us, but Cypress Charters gave us a free trip to make up for it. Capt Phil rocks.). Aquarius II is where I did my drysuit course, and they organised my Channel Islands liveaboard trip, and I will be book again through them. Monterey Bay Dive Center has had good service whenever I've been in there, but I haven't partonised them much, mostly because Aquarius Divers is more convenient for me when travelling down from San Francisco. Went to Wallins Dive Center a few weeks ago, and they had a good range of stock, and good service.

The only LDS I've had experience with in San Francisco will not be seeing my shadow darken their doorway again.

Never had the tritip, I'm a meatballs fan :)

Back
Top Bottom