Favorite Northern CA dive shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh and just because the rabbit made me do it, I called Wallins. Their top of the line dry snorkel from Scubapro is $49 (and change) plus tax. Plus Doc's Proplugs are much more affordable than I thought. Perhaps ill grab a pair.

I bet everyone at Wallins is asking each other "Hey, are you getting a lot of calls today asking what our most expensive snorkel is? Me too!"

LOL the girl kinda stumbled for a second when I asked. For all we know they are following the thread. However, I was curious about the pro-plugs and im going to get some now that I know they are so cheap.

I think it is pretty obvious to most that rhlee was taking poetic license with his $100 snorkel comments. Adobo is right -- the $100 snorkel is a metaphor for all the ridiculous overpriced crap that some dive shops will sell to you.

As far as the HP80 story -- it's true, I was there. I will admit, however, that a minute after the salesperson said this, when it was called into question, she started to backpedal. And got that look on her face like she just realized she'd made the biggest brain fart ever and uttered the dumbest thing ever uttered in a dive shop.

As I understand it, the mistaking He and Ar story is for real too, but I wasn't there. I was, however, listening in on a phone call when my lovely husband called them to ask about their He prices. Over the phone, the person he was talking to got He and Ar confused. Maybe it was the same guy filling sillygrendel's Ar bottle :)

I will, however, join anyone interested in calling bull**** on rhlee's claim that He in an Ar bottle is as dangerous as Ar in your breathing gas. Dangerous, but I don't think it's quite AS dangerous. I propose an "Argon Breathing Challenge", wherein rhlee and I go for a dive. He can breathe a gas mix containing 35% Argon. I will fill my Argon bottle with Helium. We'll go to Twin Peaks and see what happens. There's just one detail to work out -- Adobo, if something were to happen to us, would you look after the cats?

I think it's great that everyone is calling Wallin's about the $100 snorkel. If they are smart, they will have a $100 snorkel by next week.

Brandon, is that Oolong or an Oolong impostor?

P.S. I vote for Any Water Sports.

I will, however, join anyone interested in calling bull**** on rhlee's claim that He in an Ar bottle is as dangerous as Ar in your breathing gas. Dangerous, but I don't think it's quite AS dangerous. I propose an "Argon Breathing Challenge", wherein rhlee and I go for a dive. He can breathe a gas mix containing 35% Argon. I will fill my Argon bottle with Helium. We'll go to Twin Peaks and see what happens. There's just one detail to work out -- Adobo, if something were to happen to us, would you look after the cats?

I was simply trying to make the point that pure Helium in your Argon bottle can be really dangerous. It takes some time to get chilled, and if in that time you've racked up a deco obligation (or put some distance between you and your exit via scooters) you're really in a bad way. Not to mention that aside from the hypothermia, you're probably not decompressing worth a crap if you're that cold.

Point in fact, there has been some research in using Argon in decompression mixes. Go look around the web for Argox. Heck it's even referenced in the GUE T1 text ("Getting Clear on the Basics: The Fundamentals of Technical Diving") I believe.

"But rhlee, It's really narcotic, blah blah blah..." I'm not suggesting to use it as a breathing mix... I was simply trying to make the point that accidentally getting Helium in your inflation bottle can be really dangerous. I believe the literati call it juxtaposition.

quit bickering!!!

Does this mean that you are in for The Challenge?

I was simply trying to make the point that pure Helium in your Argon bottle can be really dangerous. It takes some time to get chilled, and if in that time you've racked up a deco obligation (or put some distance between you and your exit via scooters) you're really in a bad way. Not to mention that aside from the hypothermia, you're probably not decompressing worth a crap if you're that cold.

Point in fact, there has been some research in using Argon in decompression mixes. Go look around the web for Argox. Heck it's even referenced in the GUE T1 text ("Getting Clear on the Basics: The Fundamentals of Technical Diving") I believe.

"But rhlee, It's really narcotic, blah blah blah..." I'm not suggesting to use it as a breathing mix... I was simply trying to make the point that accidentally getting Helium in your inflation bottle can be really dangerous. I believe the literati call it juxtaposition.

I am not sure if thats the authentic Oolong or not :(. Its the one I see more of the time.

Either way I think most of us know theres a huge markup on scuba gear, especially things like snorkels. Unfortunately like with cars and houses, prices vary. In the end we don't know a shops reasoning for their prices, unless its a manufacturer requirement to be at or within a certain price point. That doesn't however, make any shop worse than another, just more expensive. Hopefully the more expensive shops make up for it in some other manner, be it cheaper classes, better in shop knowledge, better customer service, or some kind of value add.

As far as mixing up gases, IMHO that person should have been fired, or no longer allowed to fill. Period. In the event that it happened we can all just be thankful that it wasn't fatal. It doesn't matter what the individual states the gas will be used for. It matters what is asked for. If you or I ask for one thing but get another, thinking its the original and use it for something other than the initial intent, it could be fatal. In an industry like scuba diving that should not be tolerated, because if it did happen and someone died, I would imagine that dive shop would no longer exist. In this instance (assuming its true) they got extremely lucky.

I've had mixed experiences with Wallins also. But in the interest of balance I thought I'd mention that they came under new management in the last 8 months or so. Kippy who has worked there part-time for a while took the place over, and I know from personal experience she's open to hear constructive feedback about their operations. So maybe it's worth another shot if you want to give them one. Or if they're doing bad fills let her know so she can get the staff properly trained.

Back
Top Bottom