Favorite Northern CA dive shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello Scubaboard

This is Tiffany from Wallin’s and I would like to set the record straight on some of the things said on this board regarding our store.

Regarding filling a Argon bottle with Helium, that is not true. It never happened and Matt knows It didn’t. Matt, can you really tell by listening what gas goes in a tank? I would like to learn that skill.

No, we don’t have $100 snorkels.

As far as the filling of 80 cubic foot tanks, they can be 2400, 3000 or 3500 PSI. I frequently get people telling me how I should fill them and often they suggest that “with an 80, just add so many PSI of O2 and top off with air and you get the right mix.” If all 80’s were the same pressure that would be true. As far as “looking like I had a brain fart”, it can be exasperating talking to people who are so convinced they are right, yet really don’t have a clue. In fairness to you, maybe we we’re mis-communicating, but no one has left this store with the wrong mix and you know it.

I am really surprised you guys (and I know all of you) not only would make the false statements about Wallin’s but about me too, even though you did not mention me by name.

Regarding filling a Argon bottle with Helium, that is not true. It never happened and Matt knows It didn’t. Matt, can you really tell by listening what gas goes in a tank? I would like to learn that skill.

Given the difference in density between He and Argon, I'd be surprised if there wasn't
a difference in sound.

Given the difference in density between He and Argon, I'd be surprised if there wasn't
a difference in sound.

I'm sure you could tell, and I bet it would be even easier to tell just based on whatever different sounds emanate from each bank. But like those $50k stereo blind tests, the only way I could make such a distinction is if they were both going off side by side.

Hello Scubaboard

Whatever. I think you misread my post:

I heard the gas start to flow and then the person doing the fill said "oh, wait, that isn't right" and switched the whips.

I guess you don't remember having a snafu with my Ar bottle?

Last edited:
No, we don’t have $100 snorkels.

Metaphor

it can be exasperating talking to people who are so convinced they are right, yet really don’t have a clue.

Um, I can't say for sure but some of the people you might be referring to are pretty good with math.

Last edited:
I will say it again I have had nothing but great service from Wallin's.

[ hit the "submit" button too soon ... ]

Last edited:
This is Tiffany from Wallin’s and I would like to set the record straight on some of the things said on this board regarding our store.

I am really surprised you guys (and I know all of you) not only would make the false statements about Wallin’s but about me too, even though you did not mention me by name.

Metaphors aside, I don't think any of the incidents that I've recounted are in any way untrue.

Actually, I just remembered one more. Recently you guys brought in Halcyon as a manufacturer. I stopped by the store shortly after that happened to see what was new and, you know, just browse around. I saw a new H Explorer light that has a slightly different battery and ballast than the ones that I own. I examined it, and struck it to see what the color temperature looked like. Very quickly (less than 15-30sec.), one of the guys (not sure his name) came over and scolded me for turning the light on :confused: How about this... if you don't want people turning on and playing with the floor model, maybe the battery/bulb shouldn't be in there.... I don't find it tasteful to be scolded for correctly handling (yes, I own 2 of these lights) floor model merchandise. If the store is really that squeamish about it, why have it out on the floor? The guy that came over had no interest in selling (or even talking about) the product, just that we weren't touching it.

In any case, I think at this point it's safe to say that grievances have been aired and opinions have been shared. The real question is what comes of it.

I've had incidents where wrong things happened at AWS too (e.g. cubic foot calculations coming out wrong on the gas bill). One little question to Frank and he's all over making things right (to the point of re-instructing his staff in one case).

I think the light incident is a perfect example. Perhaps a better approach would have been "hi there... that's the new Halcyon Explorer 9/18W HID light.... have you seen how these lights work? here, let me show you....". Something tells me that's going to lead to alot more sales than "Excuse me... you shouldn't turn that light on; please turn it off."

I've never worked retail, but I guess there may just be two different schools of thought; to see what your customers are unhappy about and try to fix it, or tell them they are lying, and that they "really don't have a clue". I know which one's going to get my money each and every time.

I've never worked retail, but I guess there may just be two different schools of thought; to see what your customers are unhappy about and try to fix it, or tell them they are lying, and that they "really don't have a clue". I know which one's going to get my money each and every time.

I have.

The customer friendly places I worked in would have had me ask, "hey, can we get together? We would like to use this opportunity to see if there are things we can do to improve." That's because they remember the adage that one happy customer tells 4 friends whereas one unhappy customer tells 10 friends.

The not so customer friendly places would not really care about disgruntled ex-customers.

I am not really sure how to categorize the "liar liar pants on fire" approach.

I frequently get people telling me how I should fill them and often they suggest that “with an 80, just add so many PSI of O2 and top off with air and you get the right mix.” If all 80’s were the same pressure that would be true.

No one was telling anyone how to fill tanks. Upon picking up tanks and analyzing them, it became apparent that the fills were subpar, and that was what the discussion was about. Perhaps you meant to say "oh, it's only 8 cuft less" but what you said was that it was 80 cuft either way. You can deny it all you want, but it was a fairly memorable experience for me. Anyway, I don't care to argue about this, because it's really just a funny story.

I have now come to understand (from friends like Adobo) that subpar fills are the standard at Wallins.

it can be exasperating talking to people who are so convinced they are right, yet really don’t have a clue.

I'm not sure if you are referring to me or not. In any case, insulting your customers (specific or in general) in a public forum is incredibly unprofessional. If I insulted my company's customers in a public forum, I would think I deserved to be fired. The fact that Wallins employees are doing this says it all, in my opinion.

But just for the record, I am actually pretty quick with the numbers.

Anyhoo, Adobo and I were chatting over an elliptical the other day, and he put it pretty well -- it's not that Wallins is a terrible shop, it's that it could be such a good shop, but isn't. They have good facilities, good instructors, etc. Considering it is 1 mile from my house, I wish they would cater to my kind, but they seem to have no interest in that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom