Favorite Beer-Which list is your brew on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Red_Tail_Ale.JPG

This beer from a small place in Saratoga, NY, the Mendacino Brewing Co, has been one of my favorites for a while. Can't find it too often.

Right after the Arrogant Bastard tho the caramel malt gives it a taste that doesn't complement the AB. Next time I'd drink the Red Tail first, and follow it with the AB!

Sort of like drinking a Guiness. A Guiness tastes pretty dam good after almost any other beer, BUT almost NO beer stands up after the Guiness!

This beer from a small place in Saratoga, NY, the Mendacino Brewing Co, has been one of my favorites for a while. Can't find it too often.

I bought a sample of their beers, was very underwelmed. Out of the 6 varieties, I only liked 1, 1 was OK and I thought the other 4 were poor to undrinkable.

Big fan of the Bastard though...

If you are looking at options to try, may I suggest something from the Left Hand Brewing in Longmont, CO. Nice variety and I've enjoyed the 4 I've tried.

Left Hand Brewing | Longmont Colorado | Sawtooth | Milkstout | Jackman's Pale Ale | Deep Cover Brown Ale | JuJu Ginger | Polestar Pilsner | Haystack Wheat | Imperial Stout

Tonight I did up several venison tenderloin butterfly steaks, rolled in Italian and /Cajun seasoned bread crumbs. The Red Tail was a great taste with this, as was the Sam Adams Boston that chased the meal. Would have enjoyed trying the AB with the steaks too, but sadly...it's nearly 40 miles to the only distributor I've located for the AB :shakehead:
Like wines, certain brews work well in combination with certain foods, and not so well with others. Just like some beers hold up better than others when tasting them together, and in one order, but not in the reverse order.

If you find yourself in Hartford, CT. There is a great brewery on Main Street called City Steam. They brew all of their own beer in house, and have around 12 different selctions, sometimes more depedning on the season. I have heard that they are thinking about starting to bottle and distribute their beer, but as of now its just on tap at the resutrant (the food is decent as well).

I haven't done much beer touring around the states, but I really enjoy most of their beers. They have great variety and a great atmosphere. The brewmaster, Ron Page, is usually there on Tuesdays, and sometimes you can get a tour. He is a very knowledgeable guy, and great to talk to about beer.

If you find yourself heading that way, shoot me a PM, and I might be able to get you a free beer or two.

I haven't made 5 posts, so I can't post City Steams URL, but if you google City Steam Brewery Cafe then you will surely find their webpage.

I just checked out the winners of the North American Brewers beer challenge. Seems I have a lot of beers to try out yet, as I've only tried a couple of these winners myself! :coke:

NABA 2009 - Winners by Category

Several ones I have tried once. :yuck: :vomit: made it onto the next list:
List Washington Post made of beers under $6 a six pack. Loved how Schlitz rated last, with comments like: "slightly reminiscent of saliva."

Going Out Gurus - Taste Test: Cheap, Domestic Cans of Beer

I will have to try the winner, National Bohemian, just to see if I've missed anything, although I would agree that the Pabst is ok, just not nearly one of my favorites.

What list is your favorite brew on, or do you have a favorite that beats these winners? :cheers: :drunks:

God...we used to drink that when it was all about "how much for how little money"! I drove from the Hershey PA area to just over the MD border in Hagerstown to buy beer when I was 18 (PA was 21, MD was still 18 in the early 80's) and we'd buy "Natty Bo"! I also remember drinking many of them at a Rush concert in the mid 80's at the B-more Civic Center.

Anyway, We have a nice local brewery in the Harrisburg PA area called Tröegs Troegs Brewing Company Great beers all around, if you get the chance to try some go for it! The Tröegenator is a double bock that kicks some good butt after a dive!
I also like their HopBack Amber Ale!

A real beer Onespeed? If so, where would I find it?

Jim

Its available in Delaware and is one damned fine beer if I do say so.

Harry
aka BigHarryDiver

My favs:

When in Coz:
Leon Negro - bottle of course
Victoria
Dos Equis dark

When in bonaire/bahamas:
Kalik

Elsewhere:
Samuel Smith Pale Ale
Guiness with Stella(Black and Tan)