Your Opinions on Comparing First Timer Coral Triangle Destinations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No (AC, running water, flushing toilet, hot water etc etc). Not an issue for most seasoned travellers/tourists.
I appreciate your contributions on the homestay option. Looking back over this thread, I'd like to follow something up in case others who would consider that option might benefit.

I'd like to know more about what disease concerns need to be addressed. On my Galapagos trip, I got diarrhea (I suspect from drinking from a pitcher of water in a hotel on an island, but that's speculation). Okay, I had loperamide in my little portable pharmacy, so not a big deal, right? Well, the drug went to war with my bowel and I got through it, but I went on to have diarrhea wax and wane for (literally) months, before I got tested, a rapid (and expensive!) test called BioFire showed enteroinvasive E. coli, and Cipro knocked it out fast.

One is not supposed to drink tap water in a number of places, including Galapagos and Mexico.

So what do people do at a homestay on an island in Raja Ampat where they don't have running water? I wouldn't think a grocery store with lots of bottled water would be handy. How much of a fear is cholera?

And do you routinely take anti-malarial prophylaxis?

Beating your shoes and bedroll out in case of scorpions, spiders or snakes?

I get that there are always risks and I'm not out to fear-monger (e.g.: fear of Dengue Fever or Chikungunya didn't keep me out of the Caribbean). I'd just like to know what's deemed reasonable and prudent when using homestay options in Indonesia, particularly Raja Ampat.

1. Boiled water is supplied FOC.
2. Used to take anti-malarial prophylaxis but stopped the practice many yrs ago.
3. Mossie net is provided.
4. Repellent is useful to deter mossie.

Many peoples are using Homestay option in Indonesia.
The few occasions that I have mild diarrhea was eating local food during a long distance bus journey(India, Indonesia).
Ice is definitely NO.
"Homestay" is for people with adventure in mind! NOT suitable for everyone.

Hi, I'm brand new here. Looks like a very interesting and exciting place to share information among fellow divers! Thanks to drrich2 for having started this useful thread. I like its systemati approach.
Dan, you seem to have accumulated a lot of experience during your trips in the area. I would like to tap into it and ask your opinion about the value of a transfer trip from Ambon to Sorong or viceversa i.e. combining central and south R4 with the Banda Sea. Do I understand it right that you would not recommend a Phinisi (like e.g. Carpe Diem or Akomo Isseki), rather go for a vessel like e.g. Mermaid I? I'm planning a trip in 2024 with my wife and would like to combine R4's biodiversity and fish abundance (I spent 2W on Kri island for my honeymoon in 2008) with some pelagic action, specifically schools of hammerheads in the Banda Sea. Moreover, what would be the best time of the year to successfully hit both targets? I would enjoy diving the central R4 sites again but I'm also very courious about Misool, which I haven't dived yet but is supposed to be amazing re. soft corals. I would also like to visit triton Bay but that would probably be too much on the same trip.
At the end of the day, my question is probably this one: is there a time in the year when you can get the most out of both areas during such a transfer trip or is it better to focus on each (R4 and Banda) in two separate trips at different times?
Thanks for your reply

Just came off a Banda sea trip. The boat saw 4 hammerheads as glimpses in the distance. I saw none. Talked to others who were on other boats before and that was their experience as well. Banda was good diving with lots of healthy coral and small fish but I would not do this trip just to see hammerheads. Excellent chance you will be disappointed.

Just came off a Banda sea trip. The boat saw 4 hammerheads as glimpses in the distance. I saw none. Talked to others who were on other boats before and that was their experience as well. Banda was good diving with lots of healthy coral and small fish but I would not do this trip just to see hammerheads. Excellent chance you will be disappointed.
Hi Dar old, thanks a lot for your feedback! You're right you shouldn't plan such a trip just for the hammerheads. Did you see the sea snakes in Manuk? How was the overall fish dynamism? Small fish in units? Groups? Schools? Large and rewarding schools? At the end of the day, how would you judge combining R4 with Banda? Would Banda steal better and more intense dives from R4 south and central or would it be a good add on?... I don't know if you have been to R4 but in case, I would be interested in your opinion. Thanks!

Hi Dar old, thanks a lot for your feedback! You're right you shouldn't plan such a trip just for the hammerheads. Did you see the sea snakes in Manuk? How was the overall fish dynamism? Small fish in units? Groups? Schools? Large and rewarding schools? At the end of the day, how would you judge combining R4 with Banda? Would Banda steal better and more intense dives from R4 south and central or would it be a good add on?... I don't know if you have been to R4 but in case, I would be interested in your opinion. Thanks!
Sea snakes were on several sites not just Manuk. Definitely a highlight. Large schools of small fish where current hits land. Have seen much larger schools with larger fish in R4 but the butterfly fish schools were fun. Banda has probably better hard coral seascapes than R4. I would probably not do Banda again but I am glad I did it. A combination trip Banda R4 would allow you to get a good idea what Banda is all about and combine it with the south of R4 where you will see some of what R4 has to offer.

Hi, I'm brand new here. Looks like a very interesting and exciting place to share information among fellow divers! Thanks to drrich2 for having started this useful thread. I like its systemati approach.
Dan, you seem to have accumulated a lot of experience during your trips in the area. I would like to tap into it and ask your opinion about the value of a transfer trip from Ambon to Sorong or viceversa i.e. combining central and south R4 with the Banda Sea. Do I understand it right that you would not recommend a Phinisi (like e.g. Carpe Diem or Akomo Isseki), rather go for a vessel like e.g. Mermaid I? I'm planning a trip in 2024 with my wife and would like to combine R4's biodiversity and fish abundance (I spent 2W on Kri island for my honeymoon in 2008) with some pelagic action, specifically schools of hammerheads in the Banda Sea. Moreover, what would be the best time of the year to successfully hit both targets? I would enjoy diving the central R4 sites again but I'm also very courious about Misool, which I haven't dived yet but is supposed to be amazing re. soft corals. I would also like to visit triton Bay but that would probably be too much on the same trip.
At the end of the day, my question is probably this one: is there a time in the year when you can get the most out of both areas during such a transfer trip or is it better to focus on each (R4 and Banda) in two separate trips at different times?
Thanks for your reply

Welcome to SB!

I have only been to Banda Sea twice, in late November 2017 and September 2019. My third one is in 3 weeks from now.

The 1st one was on a Phinisi boat, La Galigo, from Ambon to Sorong. Unfortunately we didn't make it to Banda Sea due to bad weather and had to skip it and headed up to Raja Ampat, as shown in my more detail trip report here: Nov 20 - Dec 2, 2017 Ambon - Sorong Crossing Trip Report

The 2nd one was with much stronger boat, Blue Manta and did well in Banda Sea, as reported here:

I also started making trip videos in 2018. The second Banda Sea trip video is shown, below:

The upcoming 3rd trip to Banda Sea will be on another Phinisi boat, Pindito, and about the same time of the year as the first trip, 21 Nov. to 2 Dec. 2022. La Galigo had not much experience in navigating through Banda Sea at the time, while Pindito has. So, I'm relying on Pindito experience. I hope I'm not repeating the same mistake twice. LOL.

For a safe bet, I would recommend you go on stronger boat, like Bue Manta or Mermaid in September or October, not in November.

If you really want to see hammerheads, just go to eastern Pacific dive destinations like Socorro, Cocos, Malpelo or Galapagos.
Here are a couple examples of my close encounter with hammerheads:

Thanks for your reply
I've done the transfer trip from Ambon to Sorong thru the Banda Sea and loved it. I followed it up with a whole R4 LOB, for good measure. Yup I was spoiling myself for a 50th birthday celebration.
The Banda Sea trip was awsome and we did have epic hammerhead action, your milage may vary. Besides the schools of hamerheads the other diving was really good, the sea snakes at Manuk were awesome, and all the seabirds leaving in the morning is quite a sight. And my trip finnished with a few days in the south of R4, including Misool, which is a do not miss. Upon surfacing after our first dive at Boo Windows (now Boo Window as part has collapsed) we all exclaimed "wow that was an epic dive one of the most incredible sites I've seen."
As I say IMHO Misool is not to be missed, the mix of hard and soft coral is unmatched, and the fish schools were diverse and big. Then to top it off you have Mantas both reef and oceanic at Magic Mountain.

@Stendipandi if you do the Banda crossing you definitely want to do it in the Oct-Nov timeframe, the spring season is not known for good Hammerhead action. And then you can follow it up with another R4 LOB for what can be a trip that ruins all other trips after by spoiling you with epic dives.

Reactions: Dan
I've done the transfer trip from Ambon to Sorong thru the Banda Sea and loved it. I followed it up with a whole R4 LOB, for good measure. Yup I was spoiling myself for a 50th birthday celebration.
The Banda Sea trip was awsome and we did have epic hammerhead action, your milage may vary. Besides the schools of hamerheads the other diving was really good, the sea snakes at Manuk were awesome, and all the seabirds leaving in the morning is quite a sight. And my trip finnished with a few days in the south of R4, including Misool, which is a do not miss. Upon surfacing after our first dive at Boo Windows (now Boo Window as part has collapsed) we all exclaimed "wow that was an epic dive one of the most incredible sites I've seen."
As I say IMHO Misool is not to be missed, the mix of hard and soft coral is unmatched, and the fish schools were diverse and big. Then to top it off you have Mantas both reef and oceanic at Magic Mountain.

@Stendipandi if you do the Banda crossing you definitely want to do it in the Oct-Nov timeframe, the spring season is not known for good Hammerhead action. And then you can follow it up with another R4 LOB for what can be a trip that ruins all other trips after by spoiling you with epic dives.
September is even better for hammerheads as the thermocline is shallow. Just make sure you're on a Big steel boat and not a wooden one. Waves can be nasty due to the winds. Been on 3 Banda sea trips so far for hammers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom