Fathom Gemini - Fathoms Sidemount CCR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My sidewinder. Aside from the HUD was less than $4k.

This is just an overpriced copy. I was hoping to be impressed. But not really...
Msrp with nothing is $4600, not sure how you're doing that

My sidewinder. Aside from the HUD was less than $4k.

This is just an overpriced copy. I was hoping to be impressed. But not really...

New customers can't go back in time to buy something when it was cheaper. Today the Sidewinder will be a minimum of $5k and that's before any upgrades or a single computer. Add a primary computer and you're already at $6-7k.

New customers can't go back in time to buy something when it was cheaper. Today the Sidewinder will be a minimum of $5k and that's before any upgrades or a single computer. Add a primary computer and you're already at $6-7k.

Nothing in the Gemini makes me jump to buy one... the threaded connection is nice... but otherwise, it's just a sidewinder made from some different materials

Have you actually seen it in person or had a discussion with anyone about it or are you just basing your opinion solely on photos you're seeing.
I don't know much about the unit because I haven't wanted to ask because I know I'll want one. I can guarantee you that Charlie really thought out how to improve the sidewinder. He's not one to go out and just copy something to copy it. I'm pretty sure based on the discussions I've had with fathom instructors the unit was created specifically to address the multiple shortcomings of the sw. I am sure flood tolerance and WOB are high on the list since flood tolerance in the sidewinder sucks.
So do you have any insight that most of us don't have? If you don't, then maybe hold your opinions until you know more.

Have you actually seen it in person or had a discussion with anyone about it or are you just basing your opinion solely on photos you're seeing.
I don't know much about the unit because I haven't wanted to ask because I know I'll want one. I can guarantee you that Charlie really thought out how to improve the sidewinder. He's not one to go out and just copy something to copy it. I'm pretty sure based on the discussions I've had with fathom instructors the unit was created specifically to address the multiple shortcomings of the sw. I am sure flood tolerance and WOB are high on the list since flood tolerance in the sidewinder sucks.
So do you have any insight that most of us don't have? If you don't, then maybe hold your opinions until you know more.

Check out the posts of the unit. Some in depth shots of the unit.

Threaded connections - great, definite improvement over the clips
Potted cells - meh.... ok...
Integrated HUD - personal preference... petrel 3 alarm function now makes a seperate HUD a nice to have
Removable scrubbers - larger unit, personal preference, not really a need
Lung - looks the same, has an OPV? Again, nothing new
Needle - used one, used CMF, used eCCR - personal preference on this.

No change in flood tolerance looks like it just directs into the exhale lung like current unit

Looks like a more expensive sidewinder with some "nice to have" features. If you want them.

No change in flood tolerance looks like it just directs into the exhale lung like current unit
My suspicion is that there is a baffle in the loop somewhere to help keep water out. I could be wrong. But again the point is there's so little information out there on it, knowing Charlie it's the things you don't see that make a big difference. I know when I got my fathom years back several people who'd never seen one other than on facebook posts tried telling me it's just a manual meg.

@Haaginheimer what kind of car do you drive? I only ask because they all have 4-wheels and get you from A to B. I wonder if you have any luxuries at all or are driving a base model 1980's station wagon with cloth interior, crank windows, no airbags and AM radio? To be fair, that sounds like all you'd really need. Why do companies keep producing new cars, I wonder?

The fathom Gemini retails at $7,695 USD

Back
Top Bottom