FATHOM Dive Systems Q&A

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To preface, I only have experience on a chest-mount unit (the Choptima) but am toying with getting a BM unit. How does the WOB compare for the Gemini vs. the BM Fathom unit?
This would be a great question for @kierentec as he has been diving his hard since DEMA. We do not have official WOB numbers yet for either unit, though that is in the works. I haven’t had the pleasure of diving one yet. If anyone has figured out a way to clone yourself to have more free time please let me know 🤣

I noticed in earlier post you referred to the MK3 Fathom - what differences are there going to be between this and the current MK2.5?

The changes between the MK2.5 and MK3 are mainly in options. We have decided to the make AK 4-pin Shearwater, handset on the right/hud on left, and the BOV our standard. We have phased out of using fisher cables and hardwired handsets entirely as we believe the AK 4-pin connection to be superior in terms of serviceability and flexibility. There is a slight change in that the HUD wiring and housing is more robust and refined. The purchaser also now has the option between the 5lb or 9lb scrubber, and a BOV or an ADV & DSV at no added cost. That being said I don’t believe we’ve sold a unit with an ADV in the past 2 years, and almost everyone who had an ADV / DSV combo has switched to a BOV.

Other than that, it’s mainly a change in name and unfortunately for the consumer, price. We’ve worked hard to keep our prices the same, however with all the price increases in our supply chain we had to update our unit price to reflect that. The MK3 now retails at $9,995 USD. This is a just a 5% price increase over the MK2.5 with a BOV and AK-4 pin Shearwater Petrel 3.

Other than that, it’s mainly a change in name and unfortunately for the consumer, price. We’ve worked hard to keep our prices the same, however with all the price increases in our supply chain we had to update our unit price to reflect that. The MK3 now retails at $9,995 USD. This is a just a 5% price increase over the MK2.5 with a BOV and AK-4 pin Shearwater Petrel 3.
That's a very fair price change. I bought the first iteration of the fathom (i think number 18) and after adding an ADV and divesoft bov, I was pretty close to the new price (maybe slightly less) and that was pre-pandemic. I was sad to see the divesoft bov go away as I love mine. I've avoided GG simply due to a boycott of them as much as I could due to the horrible customer service. Now that GG has a new owner I'm more apt to go with a GG, though in test dives I greatly preferred the divesoft.

Sometimes I feel like my wife and I are the only holdouts still using our ADVs.

This would be a great question for @kierentec as he has been diving his hard since DEMA. We do not have official WOB numbers yet for either unit, though that is in the works. I haven’t had the pleasure of diving one yet. If anyone has figured out a way to clone yourself to have more free time please let me know 🤣

The changes between the MK2.5 and MK3 are mainly in options. We have decided to the make AK 4-pin Shearwater, handset on the right/hud on left, and the BOV our standard. We have phased out of using fisher cables and hardwired handsets entirely as we believe the AK 4-pin connection to be superior in terms of serviceability and flexibility. There is a slight change in that the HUD wiring and housing is more robust and refined. The purchaser also now has the option between the 5lb or 9lb scrubber, and a BOV or an ADV & DSV at no added cost. That being said I don’t believe we’ve sold a unit with an ADV in the past 2 years, and almost everyone who had an ADV / DSV combo has switched to a BOV.

WOB is hard to quantify without final testing being completed. But subjectively, the BM fathom is one of the best breathing units I’ve every been on, and then the Gemini is truly remarkable. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Which one@kierrentec

Which one@kierrentec

This probably isn’t the appropriate place for that discussion as this is a Q&A specifically for Fathom. Ive scribbled some of my thoughts about deciding between units In a few places, though:

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to shoot me a DM and we can discuss elsewhere so we don’t derail this thread.

Hi @MattK911 , just bumping this up in hopes of getting some info about the Gemini. Since the unit has two removable scrubbers, I'm curious what the thoughts/manufacturer recommendations are regarding rotating them, rEvo style? Additionally, are customers already diving these or are they still in the hands of instructors/development divers?

Hi everyone, I wanted to open up this forum to act as a Q&A for Charlie Roberson and I (Matt Key) for questions involving our rebreathers.
We want to make ourselves available within the ScubaBoard Community, and answering any questions you may have involving our design, philosophy, or anything else related to our rebreather lineup.

In addition to our record-breaking Fathom MK3, we are very excited to announce that our rebreather offerings are expanding this year with our new FATHOM GEMINI. Utilizing our needle valve, line lock system, HUD, potted electronics, and removable scrubber in a form factor that is great for squeezing into small caves, or throwing into a carry-on for your next vacation. While none of these features may be "new", offering all of them in this layout and form factor certainly is.

We look forward to your questions and hearing from this community.

Hi @MattK911 so when and where can a regular "Joe" diver buy the Gemini?

Hi @MattK911 , just bumping this up in hopes of getting some info about the Gemini. Since the unit has two removable scrubbers, I'm curious what the thoughts/manufacturer recommendations are regarding rotating them, rEvo style? Additionally, are customers already diving these or are they still in the hands of instructors/development divers?

Sorry to jump in and reply for Matt, but yes, we have been playing with rotating the scrubbers with success.

Delivery to end users begins in January.

I’ve actually tried using some Velcro strips to attach the cable to the loop and it works OK but still a crazy weird loop out to the side. Forgot you’ve seen the HUD and the stiff cable in action.

Hair ties work as well and a bit of electrical tape on the back of the hud will hold it in place on the shearwater or another hud mount

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom