Fatboy newbie with ?'s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll join the chorus recommending a backplate and wing with a simple webbing harness. It's the only option that will allow you to use the same gear now, and when you've lost 100 pounds.

As far as further training goes, what will suit you best depends on what kind of diving you want to do, and right now, the best thing you can do is dive. Get out, preferably with an experienced mentor (SB is a great place to find someone like that, in your regional forum!) and get some experience. Play with your weighting -- There are a ton of threads here about how to do a proper weight check, and about distributing your weights in trim pockets or camband pouches to allow you effortless horizontal trim. Buoyancy control only comes with practice (and is easier when you're trimmed out properly).

If you decide you want to use a full Hogarthian setup, and want the skills that Fundies offers, it's a superb class. Another option, that would mean a little travel for you, would be a cavern class. There may also be someone local (or closer than the caves, anyway) who is teaching some kind of AOW class that would introduce some of the ideas of Fundies. And it may also be that you decide the diving you most enjoy leads you in some other direction. I would highly, highly recommend taking a Rescue class at some point. I think every active diver should.

If you are heavy, and diving in cold water, you are likely carrying a fair bit of ballast. If you put it all on your waist, you are going to be very leg-heavy. The answer isn't weight integration -- it's weight distribution. As spectrum mentioned, you can move the tank up higher, you can put weights on the cambands or around the neck of the tank. You can go to steel tanks, and the backplate will move weight up onto your back, too. All of those options will distribute ballast and aid in maintaining a horizontal position.

As far as the purge mask is concerned, I'd say a better option is to figure out how to get your mask to seal. I know at least a couple of mean with moustaches who dive (my husband is one of them) and they've figured out either ways to trim the moustache or things to use (like Vaseline) to get a better seal.

I can only offer mustache advice. I got me a mean one and don't have any problems with my mask. I don't have the purge valve, just clear it like everyone else. I've seen a couple of people shave a small spot just below their nose and/or use vaseline. I don't trim it or use vaseline. You should be able to get a good fitting mask and not have to worry about the facial hair. Congrats with the weight loss hope it works out for you.

I had lap-band surgery and have had no side effects I recommend it hghly

Any problems with the bypass? I'm thinking of doing it.

absolutely no problems with the bypass I had mine done in mexico because of cost 10 grand as to 35 grand in the states ( but I live in texas so it isnt a big trip) my insurance would not pay for it BUt the experiance was great the doctors that did mine all had it done and are heavy into pain managment so I had no pain NONE I got up and walked around for an hour the next morning after I woke up

hello all
many questions
1st I got my padi ow dive cert july 27 so im still new justa few questions
#1 I AM fat boy pushing 290lbs 5 foot nothing so i am looking for a BCD that is "one size fits all" so it will adjust as I loose wieght (had Gastric bypass surgery in march 25 08 so the weight is coming off ) any suggestions as to a bcd is appreciated.
#2 took the padi ow corse but as I read I wonder if the dir gue fundie corse would be the best one to take next (in time )
#3 in the OW classes I had a 16lb weight belt and any tim I stoped swimming (rental/class equip)I would go vertical Im sure it will get better with practice but I wonder if integrated wieghts (along with trim wieghts) will help
#4 I have/keep a mustach wonder if a purge mask might be easier to clear than regular mask
and I have more questions but I will pester you further at a later date thankyou for any advice
I have a backplate and wing.....had gastric bypass 6 weeks ago, started back diving 3 weeks ago. The webbing on the harness adjusts easily. I don't like the wrap around BC's at all. Not enough flexibility for how I like to dive. And after surgery, it's nice being able to quickly adjust the harness to meet my changing needs. That being said, I haven't donned my doubles yet, nor done any trimix dives since surgery. And with winter setting in, that might not happen until next year!!

I have been diving for nearly 30 years and have always been "big", myself. Over the years I have learned a number of things about outfitting the Big&Tall diver. I see that some have recommended a backplate/wing BC, this is a good recommendation. But there are a couple of other choices you might want to consider... Zeagle BC's are modular in design. So the various parts of the BC can be ordered separately. I use a Zeagle Ranger, it is one of 3 Zeagle's I have owned. When I buy a Zeagle, I always order it with "Large shoulders" and "2XL waist". Zeagle will custom make nearly any size for the same price as off-the-rack.

Seasoft also does very well at accomodating a wide range of sizes. The CEO of Seasoft is a "big guy", himself. So, he is aware of the challenges of Big&Tall divers. I also have a Seasoft BC. Their BC's are the most size-adjustable of any I have ever seen. With only 3 size ranges, they can fit divers from 45lbs upto 475lbs.

Being a "big guy" you will also need much more weight than most people. Bouyancy is determined by how much water you displace and big people displace more water. Traditional weight belts are just too uncomfortable. If you want to have a "belt", either for all your weight or part of your weights, I suggest a weight harness. There are a number of manufacturers that make them. You can also go fully-integrated. The Zeagle Ranger, as most of the Zeagle line, will hold upto 50lbs of lead in the integrated weight pockets. BTW, at the size you state you are, I strongly recommend that you do not buy a BC with less than 50lbs of lift. The Seasoft Pro has 52lbs of lift. The Ranger has only 44lbs, but can be ordered with a 65lbs bladder. Or, you can get the Zeagle Tech that comes standard with the 65lb bladder.

Another thing that the Big&Tall diver has to deal with is suit manufacturers. First, they don't seem to like to acknowlege that anyone over a size L should be allowed to dive. Secondly, if you compare their sizing charts to the ones used in clothing manufacturing, you will see that they practice size inflation... What the wetsuit manufacturer says is a size L is really an M, when you compare it to clothing sizes. In fact, I have seen some wetsuit sizing charts that mark their suits 2 sizes bigger than they really are. The wetsuit manufacturer that I have found to be the most friendly to the Big&Tall diver is Akona. They have suits up to 5XL (though, it's really a 4XL). Otherwise, the B&T diver frequently needs to have custom suit made. But, in recent years, I have been finding it harder and harder to find manufacturers that still make custom suits. I used to rely quite heavily on Harvey's Wetsuits. But they appear to be out of business, now. (BTW, there are still a number of drysuit manufacturers that make custom sizes. So, if you are planning on being a drysuit diver, then you will have better luck getting a custom size.)

When traveling, the B&T diver needs to be aware that many diving destinations don't carry very large BC's or wetsuits. As a B&T diver, any regulator will fit you. But, if you can't get a BC to fit, you're not diving. Most "normal" sized divers carry their regulator and computer on the airplane because they are the "expensive" items. But as a B&T diver, you need to consider carrying on any piece of equipment that you had to have custom made. If you had to have it custom made, then the chances of the resort having one that will fit, if your luggage is lost, is pretty small.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Based on your profile I think I was prob your dive buddy that hot weekend at Lake Travis - as you remember I am a big guy as well - and have a moustash - here is an update on some gear I have found.

BC - I bought a Zeagle Brigade (available at Scuba Toys in Carrolton TX) - head up their some saturday they are great and they can fit you - those BC's come in sections that they can mix and match. I have a XL shoulder and a XXL waist panel - you will like it way better then that rental junk we dealt with. As for a wet suit the biggest off the shelf and reasonable I came across came from Akona - I bought a "shorty" in 5XL - they also make a "quantum Streach" in 5xl

That BP/W may be a good choice for you - but their is not much to them - If you remember our divemaster Cody was using one - maybe he would let you try it before you invest.

As for mask I was using a Tusa that had addtional adjustments to try and keep it from leaking - I didnt have a lot of luck but since I have tried a Scubapro Spectra and for whatever reason it seals better on my face. You also need to buy some sillicone lube and work it into the skirt - it will really help it seal - as for smearing stuff in the stash - I couldnt bring myself to do that.

Drop me a line sometime maybe we can dive somplace - I am planning another LAke Travis dive here in a couple weeks or so.

Take Care

hello all
many questions
1st I got my padi ow dive cert july 27 so im still new justa few questions
#1 I AM fat boy pushing 290lbs 5 foot nothing so i am looking for a BCD that is "one size fits all" so it will adjust as I loose wieght (had Gastric bypass surgery in march 25 08 so the weight is coming off ) any suggestions as to a bcd is appreciated.

As others have said the only option if thinking of a drastic change in size is a backplate and wing combination.

#2 took the padi ow corse but as I read I wonder if the dir gue fundie corse would be the best one to take next (in time )

Rather than constantly chase courses just go diving and get some experience for as long as possible.
Also remember with GUE there are minimum fitness requirements.

#3 in the OW classes I had a 16lb weight belt and any tim I stoped swimming (rental/class equip)I would go vertical Im sure it will get better with practice but I wonder if integrated wieghts (along with trim wieghts) will help

Integrated weights ive yet to see one secure with a large amount of lead. Simple answer:- dont go vertical. Other than that consider a weight harness which is more secure and far more sensible than large amounts of integrated lead.

#4 I have/keep a mustach wonder if a purge mask might be easier to clear than regular mask

No. Purge masks are a pain. They just cover up someone who cant clear a mask which is a simple basic skill. They also jam with sand and grit and leak all the time. Just get a proper mask that fits.

i am certainly no pro, in fact i am not yet certified BUT I am 325lbs. down from 336 (started diet and exercise changes a month ago or two ag) I can say this... I am in class now, and started in a jacket style back inflate and din't like the fit or where the inf/def was on me. I am now using a backplate and wing and love how I am so much less cluttered and how simple the one strap is. I am wearing 30lbs (in velcro pouched on said bc harness) of weight plus a steel 130 and a stainless backplate. As far as bc goes I say go bp/w as you get thinner all you have to do is trim the webbing (or buy new at a low price). As far as the mask goes, the thing I was most scared of was clearing my mask at depth and I also have a mustache (well full beard actually) and I find that by shaving just under my nose and my cheeks I get limited leakage, although I have forgotten to do so a few times and so I have had PLENTY of practice clearing my mask. I feel like if I learn to do the skill on the simplest mechanism I can do it always. Like I would never want to have to call a dive because I was down a mask and didn't know how to clear the old fashioned way (same goes for dry snorkels) so my mask has no purge and I am getting very good at clearing it. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom