Fat AND smoking cigarettes???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah I hate to see this but at least they are out there doing something - that is far better than the vast majority of people.

They probably would not be my buddy only because my wife is my dive buddy.

Simple fact is that since I quit almost 7 yrs ago I can't stand the smell of it around me. I won't ride in a car with a smoker as it burns my eyes up, clothes stink, and the smell of the ash tray would soon be mixed with the smell of my puke. That some people think they are better off smoking is no business of mine. I just choose not to be around them especially diving. So far all the dive boats I've been on do not allow it anyway. I never though I would be so sensitive to it but I can smell someone smoking in the car infront of me if it's warm and the windows are down. In which case mine go up as I don't want that smell in my car. As far as those who don't care about others and light up whenever and wherever that's fine. Just hope I have not had beans the night before.

I certainly don't think that anyone should force you to breath smoke.
If you can smoke I can fart.

You can fart. I'm not aware of any legislation that forbids it. You can also wear whatever kind of disgusting perfume you want and blast whatever kind of terrible music out your car windows that you want...however unfortunate that may be.
I'm hoping that my state will soon pass a law like Ohio and MD where smoking in restaurants is not permitted at all. Some are like that near me but many still have smoking sections and frankly they do not work.

This is a different matter. I don't care whether a business owner chooses to allow smoking in his/her business or not. If I don't like it, for whatever reason, I'll just go someplace else. On the other hand, as a business owner, I will insist on making that decision and it should be a business decision made based on business concerns.

I'm hoping that all states as well as the federal government respect the rights or property owners.

Am I the only one who hates to see this??? ...and what if this person turns out to be your dive buddy?

He doesn't have to be your dive buddy. They aren't forced on you. You can always refuse.

If you ever end up with a buddy you dont think is capable of the dive either physically, skills wise or anything else, just say no.

He doesn't have to be your dive buddy. They aren't forced on you. You can always refuse.

If you ever end up with a buddy you dont think is capable of the dive either physically, skills wise or anything else, just say no.

That seems like the obvious answer but do you think that's what this discussion is about? I don't.

Thanks for the citing of an article Steve. I will once again note that I said "can" and not "will" or "does." I also believe the Encylclopedia of Recreational Diving addresses this.

Thanks for the citing of an article Steve. I will once again note that I said "can" and not "will" or "does." I also believe the Encylclopedia of Recreational Diving addresses this.

Anyone can write an article.

LiamtheDiver :

Anyone can write an article.

It has not been established that smoking "can" increase the risk of DCS. Here's some of what DAN has to say...diversalertnetwork.org/membership/alert-diver/article.asp?ArticleID=356

Smoking is "bad" enough that we should be able to point out the real risks using real facts and science without cluttering the discussion with a lot of nonsense and speculation.

I place some faith in proper peer reviewed publications and will consider them. I have just about no faith in non reviewed articles on medical/health matters.

Its not meant to be mean ... I don't look at scuba diving as the equivalent to a walk in the park ... to me too many divers (including techies) seem to think it is. Our bodies are not meant to be there and our physical condition is very much a factor . Too many scuba deaths are health related. To me Scuba diving is half learned skills and half physical condition.... cardio vascular system, lungs etc... if being fat and smoking is what you want then I think walking in the park is better for you ( and just possibly for your dive buddy).

Scuba at the recreational end of the scale is generally easy and not taking on the body. We aren't talking about anything extreme here. Thats why its open to people of varying physical condition and ability.

Yes it gets accidents as a result but jogging etc get more for the same problems.

Back
Top Bottom