Fantasy Island Trip Report Oct 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coming back through IAH a loud horn sounded just after we went through x-ray and everybody in the area had to stop walking for about two minutes. Has that happened to anyone else?

To get to the gates regardless of flight destination you have to go through TSA Security. You are then in a holding area waiting to board your flight. As it was explained to us, because we were going to the US, there was a second bag check as you left the building to go outside and board the plane required by the US. This same thing happened to us in Mexico coming back. We went through TSA Security and then as we were boarding the plane our carry-on bags were checked again.

Snagel

Usually at that 2nd checkpoint they'll take your water also. Including water purchased past the security checkpoint.

What was the departure tax now? $32?

Thanks for the trip report, I forwarded it to a friend going to FIBR tomorrow - she replied that it was useful and contained info she could use instead of typical ones she'd read.

Coming back through IAH a loud horn sounded just after we went through x-ray and everybody in the area had to stop walking for about two minutes. Has that happened to anyone else?

Never seen this happen before. When we were leaving St. Louis to go to Roatan, something was going on. They were calling out code words over the intercom and people were scrambling. We did understand they were shutting down an entire terminal....we were just thankful it wasn't our terminal.

A couple years ago I did witness something that I thought was way over the top and a little embarressing. Standing in line to check in bags and get tickets. The guy in front of me was of Indian Descent, well dressed, had a very attractive American looking wife/girlfriend/friend. He was sporting a turban. The TSA guys freaked out, they literally grabbed this guy and pulled him out of the line. In front of everybody they almost strip searched him. One of the TSA guys got on his radio and was yelling some sort of "code" and shortly more TSA guy's showed up with a 4' lock cutter. The lock on this guys luggage was one of those really cheap padlocks and proceeded to cut the lock off. The cutters were almost too big for this lock. They then took everything out of his luggage and piece by piece threw it on the floor. The poor guy just stood there looking like he had been beat up. The lady was standing their crying. When all was done, the TSA guys left and the guy and lady picked everything up, repacked it and checked there bag. I felt so bad for them and debated about helping them pick up their items, but at this point didn't want to draw any attention to me.

Snagel

All I can say is... :shakehead::shakehead:

Never seen this happen before. When we were leaving St. Louis to go to Roatan, something was going on. They were calling out code words over the intercom and people were scrambling. We did understand they were shutting down an entire terminal....we were just thankful it wasn't our terminal.

A couple years ago I did witness something that I thought was way over the top and a little embarressing. Standing in line to check in bags and get tickets. The guy in front of me was of Indian Descent, well dressed, had a very attractive American looking wife/girlfriend/friend. He was sporting a turban. The TSA guys freaked out, they literally grabbed this guy and pulled him out of the line. In front of everybody they almost strip searched him. One of the TSA guys got on his radio and was yelling some sort of "code" and shortly more TSA guy's showed up with a 4' lock cutter. The lock on this guys luggage was one of those really cheap padlocks and proceeded to cut the lock off. The cutters were almost too big for this lock. They then took everything out of his luggage and piece by piece threw it on the floor. The poor guy just stood there looking like he had been beat up. The lady was standing their crying. When all was done, the TSA guys left and the guy and lady picked everything up, repacked it and checked there bag. I felt so bad for them and debated about helping them pick up their items, but at this point didn't want to draw any attention to me.

Snagel

I believe the departure tax is now $38. I was a little surprised because our total was $114 for 3 people. I gave them $120 and they gave me back change in US currency. I was expecting local currency.

Snagel

The receipt said $37.35 but they didn't offer to give back the balance.

Now that you mention it, yes Reef Tank, you are correct. I was wondering about that. The information we got at the resort said $38, but when we got to the airport to pay it the sign indicated some "weird" amount ($37.35). I thought why not an even amount. I rounded the cost in my head to $38 and they gave me back change, based on the $38. Obviously, I blew right by this until later.

Is this a cultural thing? (I've been in places that round things up and don't mess with coinage)
Were we getting "scammed" a little here?

Snagel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom