Fantasy Island Trip Report Oct 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the trip report. It sure does bring back memories. We were there in the spring. We knew going there that the place was in need of some repair. So it did not bother us. The food was not great but I never went hungry, and the ice cream was great at lunch and dinner. And as for Rocky, when we walked into the restaurant he would bring my wife 2 coke lite's. He did get tipped nicely, even some extra the day we left. I'm hoping to go back in the spring, the staff and the people we met made the trip great.

Fantasy Island is one of the oldest resorts on the island, I used to go there during the 90s and it had already started to show wear and tear; they have had a couple of "new managements" but the place is too old and worn. Next time try West Bay, I now stay at Mayan Princess and it's great, costs about the same. The diving shop on the premises is Mayan Divers run by a german girl and her husband - Anja and Liber; first class operation! The beach is kept in top condition so that bugs are not a problem; you don't get eaten alive like in other places. Leave the past behind and stay in newer hotels; your hard earned vacation will be much more enjoyable and satisfying.

Hey Sin, how abotu a reference or link to them? If their prices really are competitive with FIs, I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one interested in a bit more info...:popcorn:

Thanks!

Fantasy Island is one of the oldest resorts on the island, I used to go there during the 90s and it had already started to show wear and tear; they have had a couple of "new managements" but the place is too old and worn. Next time try West Bay, I now stay at Mayan Princess and it's great, costs about the same. The diving shop on the premises is Mayan Divers run by a german girl and her husband - Anja and Liber; first class operation! The beach is kept in top condition so that bugs are not a problem; you don't get eaten alive like in other places. Leave the past behind and stay in newer hotels; your hard earned vacation will be much more enjoyable and satisfying.

Hey Sin, how abotu a reference or link to them? If their prices really are competitive with FIs, I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one interested in a bit more info...:popcorn:

Thanks!

Codman: They have a web site....looks like the rates are $1300/wk just for the room, not for three meals per day, and diving is not included. Add diving and meals, plus drinks and it looks like your will be knocking down abour $2000/wk.

I'm not surprised and it'S why I asked for some reference... I had a feeling the original post was a bit misleading when he said "costs about the same"... :mooner: The only place I've found cheaper for the same is Asia... And maybe Bonaire can be a good deal too...

Codman: They have a web site....looks like the rates are $1300/wk just for the room, not for three meals per day, and diving is not included. Add diving and meals, plus drinks and it looks like your will be knocking down abour $2000/wk.

Sunwing (the only one who flies direct from Toronto) has a package with Mayan Princess. Flight + AI for $1635. That's a $100 cheaper than what I'm paying for FI in February BUT the diving isn't included. How much more would that be???

Betty

Thanks for the report. I am going to be there soon.

The only thing that worries me about such trips is the Luggage Lotto. Will security say this or that can't go on the plane? You look it up ahead of time but in the end, it is up to the guy at the checkpoint.

probably anywhere between 25 and 35$ US per dive you intend to do... So for 18 dives included at FI, you are talking between 450- and 630$ US more per person...

Sunwing (the only one who flies direct from Toronto) has a package with Mayan Princess. Flight + AI for $1635. That's a $100 cheaper than what I'm paying for FI in February BUT the diving isn't included. How much more would that be???

Betty

We really didin't have any problems (except what was noted in my original post) going through any security. I was carrying a homemade canister light that had to have resembled a bomb under xray, two sets of regs, and several small items in my carry-on. I figured with the light it would be interesting. Of course, they grabbed my bag every time to open and look through. I have to say leaving St. Louis and going through the first checkpoint leaving Roatan the TSA personnel were absolutely great. They were professional and (let me throw up a little) very friendly.

As noted, the only issue I had was the final checkpoint leaving Roatan. Nobody else in my group had any issues. The person who checked my stuff was a very small girl. She looked like she was about 12 years old and did not speak a lick of english. She took my stuff and I'm still not conviced it was right, but it's done and already researching our next trip.

Follow the general rules about liquids (they did seem to be very picky about liquids) and don't try and bring on anything you are not suppose to and you shouldn't have any problems unless you lotto pick the little girl like I did.

Snagel

One more thing about the TSA and Security.....

We got to the airport early when leaving Roatan because we didn't know what was going on with the hurricane. One thing I noticed watching people going through security was that when there was no line and they were not busy people generally walked through without much hassle. The busier they got, the more they checked through things. It appears to me that the thought is that if somebody is going to try and bring something on the plane they should not they believe will happen when it is busy. So, they check through baggage more when they have a ton of people waiting.

Snagel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom