Fair price for used HP 130s?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jnersasi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking at a pair of XS-Scuba HP130's. These tanks are around 12 years old, and the last hydro was when the tanks were purchased. The seller says the tanks were only used once and were stored at 300 PSI. The pictures do make the tanks look brand new.

My question is, what is a fair price for these? He wants $440, but the hydros will bump that up to $530 (unless someone knows of a cheaper testing facility in the Boston area). At that price, it's not too far off what I could get new tanks for. The tanks are ostensibly fine, but the 12 year age makes me a bit wary at that price.

Any thoughts?

Why don't you have the seller hydro and VIP the tanks, so you have one less ? in this 'bargain'

I have several times considered buying used tanks, and every time backed off because the user did not want to 'risk' paying for the tests themselves for 'perfectly fine' tanks - even though they were then going to get it back from me IF everything was indeed fine. Trust goes both ways...

I am cheap, and for me the price with tests is a bit high for 12 yo tanks compared to what new ones go for locally.

Thanks for the info piiki. The seller has guaranteed that these tanks will pass so there isn't any risk there. Regardless of use, is $440 a lot for 12yo tanks? What would you consider to be fair for these?

I've found age doesn't particularly affect the price as much as you'd think in steel tanks.

I think that is a good price,they would probably bring 250-300 on Ebay. as long as they don't rust steel tanks will last a very long time.

I didn't realize XS Scuba has been around for that long...

Are these tanks hot dip galvanized or painted? Im assuming the $440 is for the pair...

I didn't realize XS Scuba has been around for that long...
Are these tanks hot dip galvanized or painted? ... Im assuming the $440 is for the pair...
Echo all three comments. Are they 'X-S' or 'X-series', as I didn't think XS Scuba was that old of a company. As to the price - you can get new 130s for $400 on-line, plus tax and shipping. But, let's say $400 each new, and that is with a new hydro / VIP. My rule of thumb, at least for eBay purchases of used gear, is never pay more than 50% of the cheapest retail I can find. So, $400 for the pair would be a reasonable price. You don't have to pay shipping (I presume), but you do have to have them hydroed, and VIP'd. And, while steel tanks generally are fairly durable (unless you are regularly having boat fills done, with lots of moisture introduced each time), they are 12 years old. $350 would be a better price, for the pair, with $400 the upper limit.

Last edited:
I kind of agree with Colliam. I expect used (when it's this old it does not matter it has not been used per se) to be a real money saving deal because I am one of those people who appreciate new (maybe too much but I have had warranty come into play with a tank even).

I am not saying that $440 is a bad price but I am calculating the end-price for me and that would be $265/tank in this case. Locally new HP130s go for $330 which includes VIP and fill and pro-K valve (taxes excluded). For me the deal would probably need to be a tad better to be really tempting (considering also the type of the tanks already mentioned) but having the seller guarantee the tests is a good start.

I looked at the tanks you're talking about. They are not XSscuba. They are US Divers - Aqua Lung.

Also I'm not sure if they're 130s. I asked him the dimensions, and he said it was 23" from the floor to the top of the valve. That's way too short to be a 130. That's the length of a typical HP 80.

Wow, that's interesting. Those tanks did look a bit short in the picture, but I figured it was just the way the picture was taken. In that case I won't buy the tanks. That's about the price of new HP80s. For the 130's, I would have probably offered 400, but it would have to be much lower for 80s.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful replies.

Back
Top Bottom