Failed PADI Rescue....now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No... We are for standards.... and if you can't do it... you can't do it.. You have poor decision making skills and don't have what it takes to work under pressure.... Stop crying and except it...

Without offending you, I am impressed at your instructor as I never heard of someone failing a scuba certification except for not showing up. I am sure that you can work on your deficiencies and master the confidence you need to take control of a rescue. Consider you one of the fortunate ones that are warned of deficiencies by "failing". I have been participating in rescue drills past my training and noticed that some people are not ready to jump in and actively help in any aspect, yet they get certified... Of course a certification does not mean much in a real situation but it may give some "Rescue Diver" a false sense of capabilities which can be deadly.

Good luck with the course. This is by far the most useful and best confidence building diving class you will ever take and repeating can only be more valuable to you.

I could be totally wrong here but I teach in a university and am quite familiar with students who may require extra time for tests or need to take the test in a stress free environment. When it comes to doing a math problem, that is fine. Some of them do quite well. However, there are situations which are time critical and are in a stress filled environment. There are problems that come up which require prompt solution or there are serious consequences. I think rescue is one of those. Not necessarily AOW as such but Deep diving is another one to some extent.

Part of being happy and successful in life is putting ourselves into positions that we can do well. I am short, slow, and not super coordinated. I did not try to be a professional basketball player. Played some for fun but settled for that. From everything you have said it sounds like you want an environment that is not stressful, you can proceed at your own pace, are not under pressure to perform. Plan accordingly.

FWIW,

IF I were in a situation where my life was depending on the skill of somebody coming to rescue me, I think I'd want somebody that truly was competent at the tasks, comfortable underwater, and familiar and secure with their equipment and their environment.

Can you honestly say that you are comfortable underwater? That you can keep a neutral buoyant condition? That you can handle the greatly increased task loading that would occur once you start trying to get my unconscious, uncooperative, and probably negatively buoyant body to the surface?

If you can't, not a big deal, we've all been there. I'm still learning, and while I'm very comfortable underwater, I still see a need for certain skills to be improved to a more 'intuitive' as opposed to 'deliberate' level of performance. That's why I'm holding off a bit on Rescue Diver, I want to be 100% sure of my skill set, not the 85% I am now.

Dive. Make more dives. Practice the basic skills on each one. Make each dive a personal training dive and work to get the fundamentals down pat. Then get comfortable with them, make those skills ingrained reactions.

Then go back and knock that Rescue Diver cert out of the ball park. Until then, I'm afraid that you might well break the first rule, which is don't become a victim yourself.

IF that sounds harsh, it's because despite PADI's reluctance to acknowledge it sometimes, diving puts you into a situation where being stupid, unsure or making the wrong decision may not get you a do-over.

Steve

You obviously lack both the maturity and dedication to scuba. You are willing to give it up because you cannot communicate with the instructor.

You have a responsibility as a certified diver. If you cannot accept that responsibility then please don't become a rescue diver.

My fear is that you will get a poor instructor that will pass you to make money. The fact that this one instructor did not may save someone's life - perhaps your own.

This thread remind me this guy i was reading yesterday,a purportedly qualified rescue diver from 1999.In 2003 he claim that he "panicked" and that was the reason he left Tina to die.

A piece of paper from PADI ,SSI, NAUI or whatever does not make you a competent diver.Is like a bank account.If you have one does not mean that you have money inside :eyebrow: (wrong example but you know what i mean)

Many responses from those way more experienced than me, and I must say I pretty much agree with them all. From what I read you are not ready for Rescue. You have to be comfortable with all the basics of diving to the point that they are automatic. Not monitoring your air is a biggee. I also agree that you should eventually do Rescue in your local environment in the required equipment. I can offer some help in that you may want to eliminate a possible slipping of weight belt by using a harness or suspenders. Many (male) divers have told me they have never lost a belt, but not having to even think about that was nice for me. You want to be thinking about what you're doing--not your equipment.

I've emailed the dive shop stating that I won't be completing the course there nor will I be signing up for any other courses though them so this thread can be closed.

Yep, just like your rescue course, run away like a little child when you don't get the candy after stomping your feet.

If you had any common sense you would be happy to have had an instructor honest enough to fail a student as poor as yourself. He was doing you a favor.

Yep, just like your rescue course, run away like a little child when you don't get the candy after stomping your feet.

If you had any common sense you would be happy to have had an instructor honest enough to fail a student as poor as yourself. He was doing you a favor.
What are you the King of Scuba? I have every right to be frustrated and act whatever is in my best interest and not the interest of anyone else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom