Faber vs. Worthington

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_18

Registered
Reaction score
I live in windsor ontario which is about 35 minutes from worthington cylinders. My LDS says that Faber has a slightly better reputation than worthington. The only bad thing is that my LDS doesn't have access to Faber until February when XSSCUBA has access to a canadian distributer. Should i buy worthington and buy what my LDS has access too or buy Faber and wait for my LDS to have access without paying shipping from California.

thanks
eric

How does a tank have a "better reputation" than another? Fabers were certainly more popular, but things are changing.

Just get the worthingtons. They're good tanks.

I'll be getting Worthingtons when I go steel. I've seen them, and they look fine to me. I surely wouldn't wait around on Fabers if I was ready to buy.

If have 4 single steel Fabers. Nothing wrong with them at all, but when I'm getting a set of doubles this winter it will be Worthingtons. The reason is that at the size I'm looking at (2x12 liter/232 bar) the Worthington steels are a little bit heavier. This weight is at the bottom of the tanks, and so they give a little more leeway on the trim. Not only can I skip 2 kilos of lead, but I get that extra buildt in weight right where I want it: over my butt...

The paint jobs on both brands are equal, and I've seen it better. But the better ones are at a ridiculous price compared to Fabers and Worthingtons.

Go for the one with the best price and availability. The practical differences are minimal.

I own 2 single 108 lp steel worthingtons and they are great tanks. Plan on getting a couple more

Worthington has been making pressure vessels for over 100 years. I think that gives them a pretty good reputation on its own

Yesterday one of the shop in town offer to sell me two Worthington 85s for $300 Can each.
If I had the money I would buy them to make a second set of double. I got Faber's
85s and love them. I pretty sure the Worthington are as good as Fabers.

All of Worthington's X-Series (3442 PSI) and new production of LP-Series (2400+ PSI) cylinders have a Hot Dipped Galvanized Finish, not just a painted finish like on Faber cylinders. IMO, this makes the Worthington cylinders a better choice.

Also, all of Worthington's scuba cylinders are stamped for use in Canada. The Faber high pressure cylinders I have seen in the LDS have no Canadian approval.

Best of all they're available and priced significantly less the PST.

FYI: Worthington now manufactures steel pony tanks in four sizes (13, 19, 30 & 40 cuft). Fill pressure of 3442 (DOT3AA 3130 + 10%). Also, all hot dipped galvanized. If nothing else, they're cute as heck. See specs here: http://xsscuba.com/tank_steel_specs.html

Back
Top Bottom