Faber Valve service kits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Correct. They are sold in the USA "branded" as Blue Steel valves. Blue Steel is the tank distributor for Faber in the US.

Nothing wrong with the Blue Steel valves (I own 2), but the Thermo's and XS Scuba's seem a little better to me. If I'd had a choice at purchase time, I would have gladly paid a few bucks more for a XS Scuba or Thermo valve.

You can buy Blue Steel parts easily.

Here is one full stocking dealer on Blue Steel valve parts Blue Steel Valve Parts @ DiveSports.com

Yes, that makes sense for sure.

I am not familiar with XS valves but I know Thermo valves very well, and sure, very good quality indeed, the only major drawback for us in the metric world is all our tanks are Metric 25 x 2 thread and of course Thermo is mostly geared for Imperial thread.

I have asked them about Metric in the past though, but economies of scale meant the valves would be too expensive.

Y

I am not familiar with XS valves but I know Thermo valves very well, and sure, very good quality indeed,

XS Scuba bought THERMO Valve a year or two ago. so they are the same company now.

Their valves are VERY similar. The XS Scuba valve is almost the same exact as the THERMO valve but with a few add on extras (different crush seat, hex tip tool, less turns to turn on /off, and plastic indicator on the handle so you can see if it's open or not visually).

XS Scuba bought THERMO Valve a year or two ago. so they are the same company now.

Their valves are VERY similar. The XS Scuba valve is almost the same exact as the THERMO valve but with a few add on extras (different crush seat, hex tip tool, less turns to turn on /off, and plastic indicator on the handle so you can see if it's open or not visually).

Oh, interesting, I didnt know that, Thermo was a very old and very respected valve company, gosh I can remember buying Thermo valves back in the 80's, quite surprised they decided to sell, but I guess everything has a price.:D

I had a little "google" at XS valves and I like the indicator on the handle, quite unique, something I havent seen before. Is it robust enough to stand up to commercial work Mike, it looks pretty tough, but its difficult to see on a picture.

Oh, interesting, I didnt know that, Thermo was a very old and very respected valve company, gosh I can remember buying Thermo valves back in the 80's, quite surprised they decided to sell, but I guess everything has a price.:D

well they kinda almost "had to sell".

XS Scuba became the sole distributor of both Worthington and Luxfer tanks.

so if you bought a new tank and valve, it pretty much came through them. By them having their own valve, it made competition tough in an already tough gear market.

I haven't seen prices go up or be "monopolized" because of it, so the consumer hasn't lost out either. So it seems a good thing so far.

I had a little "google" at XS valves and I like the indicator on the handle, quite unique, something I havent seen before. Is it robust enough to stand up to commercial work Mike, it looks pretty tough, but its difficult to see on a picture.

I don't have one of the new valves with the color indicator, but there are some other threads on here with charter operators & LDS's that say they use them and like them.

well they kinda almost "had to sell".

XS Scuba became the sole distributor of both Worthington and Luxfer tanks.

so if you bought a new tank and valve, it pretty much came through them. By them having their own valve, it made competition tough in an already tough gear market.

Goodness, caught between a rock and a hard place it seems.

I must say I have lost a bit of the pulse of things lately, I am retiring in Feb 2011 after 30 odd years in this game, its been good to me but its time to let some young blood take over, at the moment I am a bit sad, but its time to relax a bit now.:D

This shop has the parts for the Blue Steel valves. The prices are good and they are reputable to deal with.

Rebuild Parts Piranha Dive Manufacturing

Russ

Hi all,

Put an order in to Piranha, if the parts fit I will order a few more to do the rest of my tanks. Thanks for everyones feedback.

One big problem with living in Australia is that the Dive industry is so controlled.:shocked2: It is a pity that I have to shop OS to get what I want when the shop next door has the parts but will not sell them to you.
I can work on my truck ( doing a brake job at the moment ) myself, no issues but I cannot clean my own tank valve without being tied into a shop and have umteen certs. I am sure the brake job on my truck, if it goes wrong, has greater consequences than what my valve will have!:idk:

Cheers

Rainsey

The premise of what you are suggesting is simply incorrect and wreaks of the blase naivety that is also indicated with regards to the parts omissions in you first post that would have me hesitant in selling you O rings for your DIN insert.

This shop has the parts for the Blue Steel valves. The prices are good and they are reputable to deal with.

Rebuild Parts Piranha Dive Manufacturing

Russ

Hi all,

Got my valve bits & pieces yesterday from Piranha Dive. Not only were they prompt but also gave me a part refund on freight as it was cheaper than what their web page indicated. I am stoked so Russ, thankyou very much for the advice and recommend Piranha to anyone for their component needs.

Merry Christmas to all and have a terrific New year:D

Cheers

Rainsey

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom