Faber Galvanized LP85 cylinder buoyancy characteristics question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the Worthington 85s, they stay in flat trim even when near empty. But I need a fair amount of lead anyway. The Faber's with trimix 18/45 and up, will ride sort of like al80s. The tails are going to be higher than Worthington's unless you front clip them or put lead on them. If you have a backmount CCR on then its no big deal since they aren't sticking up that high. With OC nitrox they are flatter for most of the dive, but down to 1200psi in them at the end of a dive they wont be flat.

why would the Worthington's be heavier with helium in them???
The Worthington 85s as probably the most popular sm tank in fl

why would the Worthington's be heavier with helium in them???
They won’t. The helium will make them a lb or two lighter when full

The Worthington 85s as probably the most popular sm tank in fl

I see a lot more Faber 85s (painted) in the circles I bounce around in.

I see a lot more Faber 85s (painted) in the circles I bounce around in.

Maybe its just Marianna folks who like them. Up here, hp100s are the bees knees and they have the same basic behavior as the Worthington 85s. I need a ton of lead in a cf200 suit plus weezle extreme+ anyway, might as well get it off my belt

Here is the specs of the Luxfer AL80 cylinders & Faber LP85 cylinders.
AL 80's-
Wt.- 31.5 lbs
length- 26.1"
Diameter- 7.3"
Buoyancy full- -1.7 lbs
Buoyancy empty- +4.2 lbs

LP 85's-
Wt. 31.2 lbs
length- 25.98"
Diameter 7.01"
Buoyancy full- 3.8 lbs
Buoyancy empty- +2.32 lbs

Very close in most respects.

LP 85's-
Wt. 31.2 lbs
length- 25.98"
Diameter 7.01"
Buoyancy full- 3.8 lbs
Buoyancy empty- +2.32 lbs

Full is probably captured at 2400 psi. So they are more like -5.5 / -6 the way most people I know dive them.

And empty At +2.3... for me, I plan to end most dives with at least 1500 still in there, so they should still be pretty neutral.

I will buoyancy check them at much lower pressures, near empty, for the event (God forbid) that a teammate must use gas for an emergency. I would rather not get pinned on a cave ceiling. A "plan for the worst, hope for the best", planning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom